Gainclone Power Supply Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was talking a GC with 1000 to 1500uf capacitance.
If you go higher in capacitance with these chips you will affect midband and treble, it will sound very bad indeed, I tested.
Not good for driving the woofer in bi-amp mode with a two way speaker.
Maby for driving the woofer on a 3 way speaker, if the crossover frequency is low.
Useless.
It's a compromise, no way around this other than to regulate.:D

carlosfm said:
I was talking a GC with 1000 to 1500uf capacitance.
If you go higher in capacitance with these chips you will affect midband and treble, it will sound very bad indeed, I tested.
Not good for driving the woofer in bi-amp mode with a two way speaker.
Maby for driving the woofer on a 3 way speaker, if the crossover frequency is low.
Useless.
It's a compromise, no way around this other than to regulate.:D

Carlos,

I have a concern with your statement. That's what I am planning to do (4 times) a 1000uf GC kit to power 4 times 12 inch drivers in two H frames as a two channel subwoofer. So in your opinion it is not going to work for me unless I go regulated?
Best Regards,
Chris

Chris,
Actually I first regulated a GC some months ago, the amp I made for my sub.:cool:
Two OPA549s in parallel, regulated with LM338.
I liked so much the results that I had to try this on a normal GC amp.
I did, and I'll never go back to unregulated.
My oppinion is yes, you have to regulate.
A sub with unregulated PSU and 1000uf capacitance, no way.
I recommend that you use a pair or LM338s (for the two voltage rails) for each 2 chips, no more.

BTW, 12 inch drivers?:eek:
What impedance?
My 10 inch driver has two 4 ohm coils and I use them in series, so that's 8 ohms.
I recommend that, in case of your drivers are 8 ohms, use two in parallel (4 ohms) and drive them with a pair of LM3886 in parallel.
I think that may be a better option than one chip/one woofer.
Use two LM3886 for each sub (with two woofers), two OPA549s, or one LM4780 with both channels in parallel.

Edit: in the end, a pair of regs per channel.:D

if you can get to Pennsylvania this week (U.S. Government Liquidation ends Feb 3) -- these Lambda 28V, 19.5 amp power supplies will probably go for $35 each ! Original cost was about 400X that -- and they are in the original packaging -- perfect for a bridged GC amplifier:

Attachments

• veeco.jpg
    veeco.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 709
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.