LM4780 pcb layout and others

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
National now has the pcb layouts for their LM4870 evaluation board and other evaluation boards on their website here:
http://www.national.com/appinfo/audio/0,1819,968,00.html
There are pictures, gerber files, and pdf information about the boards. This might be a very easy way to do a LM4870 project, with the recommended pcb considerations.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the pcb, which the files are for. They made large voltage traces, which along with what the application note says in the datasheet.

If someone wants to take the files and do a group order, I would buy a few boards to try out.

EDIT: I realized that was the wrong picture, and I will post a different one...

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Here is the composite view. The pcb pictures are too dark to show the traces.

It looks like a nice pcb design.

--
Brian

Attachments

• lm4780-composite.gif
    lm4780-composite.gif
    85.1 KB · Views: 5,632
Joined 2002
digi01 said:
Hi BrianGT,that sound is good.
have you plan to make a pcb layout now?I am interested too, but uncertain 4780 of the quality is worth. . .
I will test it in a sample p2p modes first :smash:

indeed,I have a project now.any suggestions?
the attach file is PDF (top+silk+bottom)

I have been considering making a layout for it, but the National layout is quite a nice one, and it would be good for trying the chip out. It would allow for an easy way to try it out.

--
Brian

I'm ordering some LM4780s to try out in various configurations, but haven't found a source for .1 ohm precision resistors for the parallel version.

Is there actually a socket for this package, or do I need to
get better reading glasses?

Presently running my bashed-together LM3886 amp on
my 4 ohm Acoustic Research AR-11s (four ohm imped.);
not quite as good as my Leach amp but adequate. The
Leach has a bit more air and detail, I think. I will be building
another with better parts and more substantial power
supply, p-p construction again. For these current-hungry
speakers, I think a paralleled version would be best.

Ideally, my finished amp would be machined out of a solid
piece of aluminum or titanium, but I need access to a
Bridgeport vertical mill and my bother-in-law and I aren't
speaking to each other at the present time. :( At least I
can buy the raw materials at Boeing Surplus...

PCBs to accomodate parallel/bridge versions would be cool.

As I have some of the chips I've been considering a parallel 4780 version for use with some new subs I have coming and would be interested in several pcb's.

Brian,

Based on your experience how many boards (minimum) would it take to get the price to a reasonable level for a group buy?

Jim

Hi!

Im new (go easy) , and was actually looking at making these PCBs and trying this design in a project im doing at the moment....

then I discovered all the hype about 'gainclones' (never heard of such a thing before these forums) and almost dropped the idea o

now im reading this thread

so now im confused

:whazzat: :dead: :dodgy: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Do you think this design would have anything on a pair of gainclones? :rolleyes:

cheers

BrianGT said:
Here is the composite view. The pcb pictures are too dark to show the traces.

It looks like a nice pcb design.

--
Brian

Hi Brian, May you send me the url on the national's website where to buy the eval board? I wasn't able to find it out....

Just for your knowledge. I'm working with a 4780 on a Martin Logan Aerius I in paralleled mode and it sound very well :)

Thank you! bye

Joined 2002
jamesjung21 said:
Quote: "I asked them earlier, when I first saw the datasheet, and they said that they didn't offer pcbs."

How about ordering some PCBs in National's layout to a cheap PCB manufacturer?

JimD said:
As I have some of the chips I've been considering a parallel 4780 version for use with some new subs I have coming and would be interested in several pcb's.

Brian,

Based on your experience how many boards (minimum) would it take to get the price to a reasonable level for a group buy?

Jim

It looks like if 50 boards were ordered, they would cost about $18 each, including the tooling and shipping from the manufacturing house. The price decreases substantially in higher quantities.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Faber said:

Hi Brian, May you send me the url on the national's website where to buy the eval board? I wasn't able to find it out....

Just for your knowledge. I'm working with a 4780 on a Martin Logan Aerius I in paralleled mode and it sound very well :)

Thank you! bye

They do not sell, or provide pcbs for their designs, but provide gerber files for the evaluation board. This is the reason that I was wondering if anyone wanted to order a batch of pcbs.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.