pc cpu heatsink to use with GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sss said:
hey guys
what do u think of using cpu cooling fan and heatsink with a gainclones? will it be big enough?

It should work fine depending on the size of the sink and fan. Marshall amplifiers uses a TDA7294 @ 50 W in there MG series amplifiers and keeps it cool by the method that you describe. It would appear to be the size of a Pentium CPU with fins approximately an inch tall. An Athlon heat sink would be even better, although you may have to speed control the fans.

Later,

i'm thinking of using somthing cool like this ones

Attachments

• v11.jpg
    v11.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 578
I've tried GC with CPU heatsinks and fans. The fans were not "silent-grade" like the ones in the picture and I couldn't stand the noise. However, when I lowered the power supply voltage for the fans to let them run at lower speed, they became very quite. So, if you use "silent-grade" fans at slightly lower than the rated voltage, you will hardly hear the fan noise. But, you cannot lower the power supply voltage too low because fans need minimal amount of voltage (and current) to operate.

Good luck.

Jai

IMHO a fan cooled HS is kinda a waste of money and effort. I just use a large heavy(.5-1.5 lb) gold plated brass bar. It gets lots of mass isolation as well as a HS action.Alhough my next design is using the bar with a finned normal HS thermally and mechanically connected.
ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.