pc cpu heatsink to use with GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i dont think that this will be enough

It's not quite as warm here in the UK but I find that PC heatsinks, one for each chip, and used properly (ie using conduction) work fine.

The amp below uses 37 volt rails and the heatsinks never get above luke warm. The heatsinks sit over circular apertures in the base plate so that air is drawn up and expelled through the apertures in the lid.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There is nothing stopping you adding an extra piece of aluminium to the heatsink if you think that you may require more cooling. ;)

Passive CPU heatsinks are not very good

I was thinking of using passive cpu heatsinks as well but found out that its not a very good idea.
CPU heatsinks were designed for active cooling so they have very little spacing between the fins and rely on a high airflow to move the heat away quickly. This design has very bad performance with passive cooling and no airflow.

IF you want a cheep heatsink for your gain clone, just go on ebay and have a look about for old pentium II/III type heatsinks without the fan. I picked up some decent foxcon ones for my project and they seem to work great (although the thing still ahsn't been powered up propperly as I need more tools to finish off the case)

Attachments

• incase2.jpg
    incase2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 320
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.