I'm looking for a chip amp that can deal with a 0.4ohm load @ 3a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check the prices.

Lets say the lowest voltage 10A part: PA51

Digi-Key: $us 145

Apex micro has a fantastic product line.

But is far too rich for my projects.

:)

These came on my radar one day when I was looking for something.

I think they'd be cool for some audio projects, but the price is no where near justified for our applications.

If you're designing military or industrial stuff, then hell yeah, it's worth it. Planes falling out of the sky is a bad thing. I could see these being used in medical equipment too. They could be used in robotics and production automation too. If a production line shuts down in the middle of a shift, that's $$$ down the drain.

I guess $25 is a bargain. I think that basement tinkerers could do some cool stuff with the OPA549. People build robotic stuff, and they hot rod those radio controlled cars too. You could have a lot of fun with one.

Just for reference, this is what the impedance plot of the shaker looks like in its fully loaded configuration.

Attachments

• 2007E_shaker.png
    2007E_shaker.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 79
@ alessandro: thanks for measuring and posting.
Without that info this thread would be just speculation.

@ AndrewT: alessandro stated earlier
I'll be running at frequencies from about 30-1000hz given the loading conditions of the shaker
so he does not reach the most dangerous spots.

That said, from the original (vague) description I expected driving a mechanical mass which would behave roughly similar to an inductive load.

Of course, it would also have some natural resonant frequency and depending on where it's immersed (say free air vs. some fluid) there would also be some mechanical "resistance", in this case damping.

But in the intended range impedance looks very uniform ... phase angle increases linearly with frequency , looks like load is quite damped and not thatb hard to drive.

Not harder than a typical speaker load which after all is a "shaker" driving a cone and some air :)

Try the OPA549 and post results.

You will need a relatively low supply voltage since peak expected voltage is less than 3V .
The impedance seems to be some 0.6 to less than 1 ohms over most of the range.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.