req help in choosing audio amplifier IC for DIY home speaker system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2014, 08:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default req help in choosing audio amplifier IC for DIY home speaker system

Hello,

Could you please help in choosing audio amplifier IC for DIY home speaker system?
I am thinking of this because I am not happy with my TV sound which doesnot have equalizer options.
Q. how many watts system do I need?
When looking at my TV specs, it has 10w+10w speakers, and when increasing the volume it gets sufficiently loud. So I am thinking 20w per channel speaker system will be enough for me. Please comment if my understanding is ok

Q. Which amplifier IC to use for the speaker system?
I am looking for a Class D/T amplifier, thinking that they are more efficient and cooler, so i can get a smaller power supply and no or small heat sink, and overall a compact system.
Please comment if my thinking is ok or do I need to consider a Class AB amplifier IC also?
Looking at various forums and reviews, i could see below ICs getting good reviews:
tripath amp ICs like TA2020, TA2024, TA2021, TK2050 etc.
maxim amp IC MAX98400
IR amp IC IR2092
and some TI and analogCircuit Class D ICs.
Please comment, currently which IC will be good to use for good sound quality. It need not be very cheap if gives good sound quality.

Q. For equalizer, what is the better option :
i. between the audio source and the main amplifier (filtering before amplification), using:
a. passive filters
b. active filters using opamps
ii. using crossover circuits between main amplifier and speakers (ie. filtering after amplification)

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Last edited by sarathssca; 12th May 2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 13th May 2014, 11:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Show your homework first.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 13th May 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The sound quality of a chip has mostly to do with its support circuit (amplifier board + components + power supply). In theory, any audio IC chip could work fine if it were properly supported and not incomplete.
For example, the peakish LM3886 sounds just fine on the MyRef Fremen amplifier board.

A rather easy project with 22 watts per channel is the LM1875 QK50 kit or K50 kit. Some of the resistor values and one of the cap values is inappropriate. But that is easily swapped for values, like those on the LM1875 schematic in my signature line. I would also suggest two of the made-for K50 power boards and two of 36va transformers so you can make monoblocs. The reason to make monoblocs with 36va transformers for LM1875 is this: 36VA*0.62=22 Watts. Thus we can avoid putting more in than can come out. Also stereo separation is more fun with monoblocs. Monoblocs = pair of 1 channel amplifiers. This is also less complicated--make one that works and then copy it.
Edit: Also suitable is Dual Mono, which is the same electronically, but there is only one amplifier enclosure.

On your second question, an improved speaker crossover (which is merely driven like the speaker) doesn't remove as much detail as line level options like inserting a baxandall or retail equalizer (the effects of which are exposed to the amplifier's gain).

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 13th May 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 14th May 2014, 02:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
Hello,

Could you please help in choosing audio amplifier IC for DIY home speaker system?
S Sarath
if you have old crt tv what is not working you can pull out amplifier ic , find datasheet and build that , that chips are usualy stereo on one chip with 2*10-20w what is more than enough for home use if you ask me ... and with dual mono blocks stereo separation that is hardly noticeable but thats just my opinion (i like simpler stereo on one ic if i would do dual mono that will be something discrete ) i find lm3886/75 chips that are targeting diy population intentionaly to make money to texas instruments...i prefer tda chips like 7294 what is cheaper a lot at least where i live

also i would reccomend tda 7265 thats stereo 15w and simple to make p2p

edit: just found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TDA7294-...item51b0040ad1
this looks like it has eq and also a extra sub channel i hope with crossover

and this would i take on your place :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-30W-2-Du...item3a86707552

forget d-class it just doesnt sound right no matter what people of this forum say..and as i like to switch my speakers there is lot diffrence on 4/6/8 ohms speakers on d class amps most are made for 8 ohms speakers(filter problems i suppose) so i use it for sub channels only(0>80hz only)

Last edited by tonitonitoni; 14th May 2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
. . .i would reccomend tda 7265. . .
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
. . .and this would i take on your place :
New 30W 2 Dual Channel TDA7265 NE5532 HiFi Audio Amplifier Board | eBay. . .
Yes,
TDA7265 + bass, treble, volume
Also, I see signetics and regs in the photo, and that's good news too.

P.S.
For best results, we could de-solder the blue screw block terminals that don't grip reliably, and instead, just solder the input and output cables to the board securely.
Old 15th May 2014, 05:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Buying anything not available in this country is nearly IMPOSSIBLE or too costly.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 15th May 2014, 06:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

try old crt tvs they are full of 7265

maybe car radio amp chips those are around 10w
Old 23rd July 2014, 02:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the inputs.
To compare different amplifier ICs, looked at their datasheets. But there was not much difference in the graphs of "THD+noise vs output power" , "THD vs frequency" for ICs: TA2020, TK2050, TPA3116, LM1875, TDA7265. For all of these the THD was at least below 0.1% across the output power values under the given max for the chip. Among these graphs TK2050 was looking very slightly better than others (near 0.01 %).

Can we use above observation in selecting the IC? But it shows all were more or less similar.

thanks and regards
S Sarath
Old 23rd July 2014, 03:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

also the "THD vs Frequency" graphs were more smoother for TK2050, and LM1875 and on TPA3116 graphs THD was bit higher at around 5KHz region.
Old 23rd July 2014, 04:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

under 2-3 % it's ok

Hide this!Advertise here!