Best capacitance for Gainclone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best capacitance for Gainclone

Continuing the off topic discussion from here: Chip Amp Photo Gallery
Old 13th February 2014, 08:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The more the better.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindutis View Post
The more the better.
It seems not everybody agrees with you
Old 13th February 2014, 08:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well some still listens to mono recordings
Anyway, 4700uF minimum. I like it 10mF or much more. If it is even more then soft start is needed.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindutis View Post
Well some still listens to mono recordings
Its maybe you that lives in the past when people thought that bigger was always best.......

Last edited by Joerytech; 13th February 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 13th February 2014, 10:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ideally just 1nF. On the power pins. Nothing on the PSU, just feed the chip amp straight from the rectifier.
Old 13th February 2014, 11:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

High capacitance is fine, but the average 10-15,000uf cap is garbage. Spend the $ to make it a very good, very fast capacitor or use multiple smaller values. This seems to escape everyone, always trying to find a compromise between enough capacitance for bass, and yet not destroy the highs.

Peter Daniels has used 100/1000uf and 1500/50uf for Chip/PSU. Blackgate N/Blackgate STD, Panasonic FC/Panasonic FC. In either situation the caps are small enough and responsive enough to provide good quality music, bass maybe respective of speaker load however. But a lot of people on here are aware that 10-15,000uf has some serious merit, per channel.

What would I try? Hm, well I'd try a few things perhaps. But I think the approach PD took was legit. However I'd probably use Elna SIlmic II's or Nichicon FG's to play around with these days.

I wouldn't be doing any mythical bypass caps of small value (film caps or whatever) that are just ringers.
Old 14th February 2014, 09:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ideally there should be infinite capacity for the amp, so it gets the same voltage always. If it is not infinite, as the 50/60Hz goes, 90% of the time the chip gets the juice only from the capacitor and not from the transformer. And I guess this explains why bigger is better. Don't really understand why there is an argument at all.
Old 14th February 2014, 09:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWagner View Post
Ideally there should be infinite capacity for the amp, so it gets the same voltage always. If it is not infinite, as the 50/60Hz goes, 90% of the time the chip gets the juice only from the capacitor and not from the transformer. And I guess this explains why bigger is better. Don't really understand why there is an argument at all.
Yes, ripple current is up to us to decide. Yes, it is 100Hz after a rectifier. The argue is following that the signal is traveling through the power supply capacitance. And high capacitance damps the high side of a freq response. Connect many smaller caps in parallel was the idea. Anyway. It is not difficult to measure the frequency response at the certain points and see the dB difference. I was using 10mF power supply caps with no problems.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:39 AM   #10
frank1 is offline frank1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Some time ago, I built a test amp with relay switchable capacitors so I could change the value from the listening position after reading a load of rubbish here.

The small values just gave and apparent loss of bass with no other noticeable affects.
I wouldn't personally bother with many small capacitors in parallel as I was measuring about 0.01Ohm ESR @ 200kHz from my 10,000uF caps.
Frank

Last edited by frank1; 14th February 2014 at 10:42 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!