My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 08:21 PM   #401
diyAudio Member

dtes you sound like me when i first started the journey of modding myrefc.

if you're to look at my earliest posts on 'new myrefc' thread, i'm always complaining about lack of bass, much like you.
then after many swapping of components as recommended by dario, i don't remember exactly when and after which swap, but myrefc's bass improved to where now it's simply the best bass i have heard.

it can still sound underwhelming to indiscriminate listener because it is not as damped as many other amps, but what is there is deep, articulate and rich in harmonics.

i recently got to compare it to an onkyo class ab unit and it was an even match. onkyo had a tad more slam but myref actually had more body.

come to think of it, i think what did it for me was mlytic 10000uf smoothing caps. at first they didn't seem like much but they probably started helping out greatly as they got broken in. i'd look at swapping out caps first for the biggest improvements.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:43 PM   #402
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
I would suggest to builders to start with one of the two BOMs (full or 'on a budget') and only after trying different parts so it would be possible to make a comparison to a common base.
Dtes

I don't know enough to say which parts were important to what, but I have to agree with Dario that going with the BOM is the bomb. I've been very happy just following the leader.

I will say that you need to give the FE's a little time, especially with new caps in place. I was originally feeling the bass was weak, but after an hour or two the bass became excellent.

Dario,

One other comment on your new chassis. It's just amazing how small the FE's look in that box. :-)

Jac
Old 29th September 2012, 11:59 PM   #403
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
One other comment on your new chassis. It's just amazing how small the FE's look in that box. :-)
Yes, the chassis it's pretty big, it's a 19", 2U unit.

Nevertheless I'll have to place components with care... with all parts in there's no so much place as you may feel initially...
Old 30th September 2012, 12:07 AM   #404
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Default Badri's build (part 1)

Badrisuper asked me to post for him pictures of his build...You'll find them attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0748[1] (Custom).jpg (155.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0749[1] (Custom).jpg (137.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0750[1] (Custom).jpg (153.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0751[1] (Custom).jpg (159.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0752[1] (Custom).jpg (150.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0753[1] (Custom).jpg (129.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0754[1] (Custom).jpg (142.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0755[1] (Custom).jpg (129.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0756[1] (Custom).jpg (150.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0757[1] (Custom).jpg (139.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 30th September 2012, 12:08 AM   #405
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Default Badri's build (part 2)

Badrisuper asked me to post for him pictures of his build...You'll find them attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0758[1] (Custom).jpg (126.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0759[1] (Custom).jpg (131.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0760[1] (Custom).jpg (140.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0761[1] (Custom).jpg (139.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 30th September 2012, 12:22 AM   #406
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

That's great progress. No need to be in a hurry. Remember to lift the LN3886 off the board when you solder it. I can't see anything to comment on. Looks nice.
Old 30th September 2012, 01:10 AM   #407
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey All

How about a status report from the group. I'm guessing around six builders have started and/or finished. It would be nice to hear from everyone even if you haven't started yet.

Please post your ststus so everyone gets an idea when the major agreements or possible substitution dialogs might begin.

Thanks.......
Old 30th September 2012, 02:10 AM   #408
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been watching the thread in my few stolen moments the last few weeks. Unfortunately I have not had much time for audio projects recently as I am busy with the purchase of a new home and all of the things that go along with that....painting......painting.....painting. anyways I have made progress on my pr-amp and am almost finished with it. I will soon be able to begin work on the FE, I am jealous of those of you who are finished and listening to this amp, I am sure it is somthing special. I am still going back and forth with idea of monoblocks. I guess I have time to decide
Old 30th September 2012, 02:14 AM   #409
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

By the way Bob I did finish my cat 5 speaker cables and have to say they do have a positive effect on the sound of my system. The bass is more defined and the highs are crystal clear. Thanks for the heads up.

My fingers just recovered!
Old 30th September 2012, 08:54 AM   #410
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am slowly accumulating parts[thanks Bob] for this project but have had to put back the build for a while;hopeful to make a start by the end of the month

Hide this!Advertise here!