Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2010, 03:45 PM   #631
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengboon View Post
I tried to seach but could not find useful info, can you elaborate on what you mean?
Texas Instruments makes several second-source versions of the LM318 op-amp. The best is probably the LM318J CERDIP version, but the current production is probably the LM318P plastic DIP8 only.

The internal equivalent schematic of the TI LM318P is very similar to the NatSemi LM318N, but there subtle differences in audible sonics when used in a MyRef. IMHO, the TI part has more full-bodied mids and slightly de-emphasized lows, compared the NatSemi part, which is more flat and neutral - this is mostly a matter of subjective perception.

The TI LM318P is also better built, with thicker tinned pins compared to the plated pins of the NatSemi LM318N.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:59 AM   #632
lucylu is online now lucylu  England
diyAudio Member

Default Awesome Amp

Well i finished my first ever chip amp i was eager to here it as this would also be a first.
I switched it on expecting to hear hiss/hum etc however it was dead quiet i assumed it was not working,not until connected to my system and sat back listening to ELO( out of the blue, lp.) a big smile appeared on my face .
One of the reasons i made this was to compare it to my tube amp ,,,,i have given the tube amp to my son !
This amp is fantastic clarity/detail ,i now understand why people rate this so highly. A big thanks to all involved john
Old 29th November 2010, 03:53 PM   #633
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Got the LM318... they're Nat Semis.

Sounds wonderful. Clear, crisp, powerful, great tone.
A touch dry for my taste, but definitely a great amp.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Edit: Forgot to mention that its dead quiet. Always a plus.

Last edited by ra7; 29th November 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 29th November 2010, 04:39 PM   #634
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Got the LM318... they're Nat Semis.

Sounds wonderful. Clear, crisp, powerful, great tone.
A touch dry for my taste, but definitely a great amp.
It will sound even smoother and more detailed after the Panasonic FCs (C6, C11) burn-in. If you prefer slightly more full-bodied mids, try rolling the TI LM318P in place of the NatSemi LM318N.

Last edited by linuxguru; 29th November 2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 29th November 2010, 05:30 PM   #635
PJN is online now PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

I was never one to put much stock in burning in electronics but I recently built the last Rev C go around with the ultimate BOM and I found that it really made a difference. The amp did sound clear and crisp at first turn on, then a little odd (nasally)for about the next 10 hours, I changed through several different speakers and they all sounded similarly odd which pointed to the amp. Finally left the damn thing on to run for a few days and with about 20 hours on the clock things changed greatly for the better. Great amp.

PJN
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:00 PM   #636
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
Texas Instruments makes several second-source versions of the LM318 op-amp. The best is probably the LM318J CERDIP version, but the current production is probably the LM318P plastic DIP8 only.

The internal equivalent schematic of the TI LM318P is very similar to the NatSemi LM318N, but there subtle differences in audible sonics when used in a MyRef. IMHO, the TI part has more full-bodied mids and slightly de-emphasized lows, compared the NatSemi part, which is more flat and neutral - this is mostly a matter of subjective perception.

The TI LM318P is also better built, with thicker tinned pins compared to the plated pins of the NatSemi LM318N.
I dont recall anyone testing this before as we have all been told to stick exactly to this OPAMP. Glad you compared and thanks for sharing.
Also good to hear from you recent builders!!
Uriah
Old 4th December 2010, 08:49 PM   #637
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

Following Linuxguru's recommendation I picked up and tried the TI 318P's in my build. While it's impossible to do a true side to side comparison the change did seem to warm up the amp a bit. Vocals seem a little richer for want of a better word. Soundstage, imaging, and detail remain the same (excellent). It's a bit of a bitch changing them out, but well worth the small expense to try out a completely reversible mod.

PJN
Old 5th December 2010, 05:45 AM   #638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
... the change did seem to warm up the amp a bit. Vocals seem a little richer for want of a better word. Soundstage, imaging, and detail remain the same (excellent). It's a bit of a bitch changing them out, but well worth the small expense to try out a completely reversible mod.
Excellent summary, and this is my impression as well.

If you're not averse to using sockets, the swap is not too difficult - use the ones with the Augat-style machined, circular holes for better contact reliability. They can also withstand insertions and removals better.
Old 5th December 2010, 04:20 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

Mine are in sockets, but access is partially blocked by heat sinks that are on the caddock resistor that came with the ultimate BOM. With my big clumsy fingers it takes some care to do the switch without breaking things.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:20 PM   #640
diyAudio Member

For any of you who participated in the most recent group buy of the "Ultimate BOM" and are bothered by a slight metallic edge or treble brightness, I suggest you try Dario's recommeded switch of R1 and R4 from the Dale metal films supplied in the kit to KOA SPR3 carbon film. The result is smoother highs and a bit more flesh to the mids, with no loss of detail.

You might also want to try a Sonicap for C13. See the "New MyRef C" thread for a more detailed analysis of cap trials.

Peace,
Tom E

Hide this!Advertise here!