The best sounding audio integrated opamps

Unless I end up saving up for new speakers. :) Just yesterday I heard some Paradigm Atom .6, an they were very good... surely better speakers than my very decent Polk's. My DAC is superbly transparent now, after all. :cool:

Or... I might also just replace the caps in the crossovers of my Polks with these very cost effective Solen/SCR...

The LME49721 is amazing as a low voltage (6V max) opamp (it's being used in my modified C&C BOX, as mentioned). And I've tried many...

Such as: OPA2365, OPA2350, OPA2376, OPA2340, AD822, AD8616, OPA2727, TLC2272, LTC6241 ..

Globally, the LME49721 is the best: most full bodied, controlled, smooth yet resolving, musical. Love it! It pairs with the AD8532 buffers of my headphone amp wonderfully (not unexpectedly: 49721 + 8532 = 12345789 :)).

Last edited:
Unless I end up saving up for new speakers. :) Just yesterday I heard some Paradigm Atom .6, an they were very good... surely better speakers than my very decent Polk's. My DAC is superbly transparent now, after all. :cool:

Or... I might also just replace the caps in the crossovers of my Polks with these very cost effective Solen/SCR...

If the Paradigm's are s step up to your Polk's, save up your money for better speakers. As good as Polk's are for the money, you are on the very bottom of the heap. Atom's are considered entry level. Speakers are 95% of the sound. Everything else we do with diferent amps and caps is in the last 1/2 of one percent.

Can't fully agree there. If you believe that (implying amps you have heard all sound pretty similar) you would be in for a major shock soundwise when you hear what is possible.
The differences can be more than you are talking about in this thread :)

I owned a Primare I20 in the past, as well as the Atoll IN80 and IN50... I know what you're talking about :)

Yet... a (modified :) ) budget DAC, or a good interconnect (digital and analog), are underrated pieces of gear. As different as they are, both have much to 'say'...

It's the care for "details" what conjures up perfection... at any level of cost :)

Last edited:
If the Paradigm's are s step up to your Polk's, save up your money for better speakers. As good as Polk's are for the money, you are on the very bottom of the heap. Atom's are considered entry level. Speakers are 95% of the sound. Everything else we do with diferent amps and caps is in the last 1/2 of one percent.
Please consider that all I've reported here has been revealed by my "very bottom" Polk Audio Monitor 30's (bi-wired). I think that the entry level, but quality commercial speakers are underrated...

Consider that I used to own (until a few years ago) bookshelf speakers like the Acoustic Energy AE1 MkII, Epos ES12, Harbeth HL-P3/ES...

At first I was very sceptical about these cheap Polk's (they were a present from my brother); then, with time, I've learnt to appreciate their undeniable qualities.

Last edited:
Anyway now I'm too happy with my DAC to really consider starting to modify another. Tired and happy. :p

So yes, that of saving up for new speakers (I really like Indiana Line Musa 105 too, as well as the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1, and maybe the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1) looks like the most clever idea :)

Can't fully agree there. If you believe that (implying amps you have heard all sound pretty similar) you would be in for a major shock soundwise when you hear what is possible.
The differences can be more than you are talking about in this thread :)

I think you miss-understood my point. It was considering the OP's position on entry point speakers. My recommendation is not to spend money on better caps, but on much better speakers. Bang for buck kept in balance.

I certainly do not believe all, even very good, amps or CD,s sound the same. Actually trying to do research on dynamic issues that could explain why the differences are as pronounced. I have some leads. My point was this is not the domain of entry level Polks and esoteric caps.

If we were talking about $4000 a pair speakers, that is another question entirely. BYW, building speakers is my hobby. Can I hear a difference on a $100 tweeter between a really cheap electro and a decent film? Yes. But if I spend the difference in cap cost on a much better tweeter, the difference is even greater. OK, after I plunk down $300 for a ScanSpeak, yes, I will put in films. (Well, actually I prefer to bi-amp).

The only other reason to spend money redoing entry level crossovers is as an educational exercise. The OP was not suggesting this, but was hoping some "magic" caps would make his entry, be they very good for the price, Polk's into high fidelity. Won't happen.

I still contend, speakers are 95% of the system. Room another 4%. Electronics are relatively easy. Of course we want the best electronics too, but for pure sound, speakers and room treatment is where it is at. An average AVR is better than the best speakers. Not that a Naim is not clearly better than a $400 Denon AVR, but it is splitting hairs compared with the speakers. If I had an extra $50 bucks, I would build some absorption panels long before I bought caps for a crossover.

Hey... I have already had my experiences with crossovers & Co. :)

My "not high fidelity" (!!!!???!!!) Polk Audio Monitor 30 has a film cap in series with the tweeter already, but it's a mylar (=polyester?) cap.

Since these Solen's sound really great, and cost just a couple of euros each... I guess it's an idea. Especially as someone else already did it on the same speakers as mine, and reported a significant gain in performance :)

In all honesty I think you look down on my Polks too much. :) If it weren't for them this thread wouldn't exist - be thankful!

I have even stopped listening to my Sennheiser HD650 due to my Polk's. They still sound great, though different... and wearing headphones while not lying horizontally is a prison :)

Though I must say that the Senn. HD238 that I have beside my bed, when properly driven, gives my Polk's some competition :) but I still prefer to listen with my Polk's, due to their naturalness.

Last edited:
Please consider that all I've reported here has been revealed by my "very bottom" Polk Audio Monitor 30's (bi-wired). I think that the entry level, but quality commercial speakers are underrated...

Consider that I used to own (until a few years ago) bookshelf speakers like the Acoustic Energy AE1 MkII, Epos ES12, Harbeth HL-P3/ES...

At first I was very sceptical about these cheap Polk's (they were a present from my brother); then, with time, I've learnt to appreciate their undeniable qualities.

I have had many speakers too like: Kef, B&W, Klipsh, Canton, Wharfedale and many more. But for sure Polk Audio makes good speakers for the money. I have right now the "small tanks" the Polk Audio RTi A1 in Cherry These speakers are small but only in size, the sound is huge!. if you need Good bookshelf speakers look not further!. just look for excellent reviews all over the web. Who said you have to spend thousands to get decents speakers?.;)

I think you miss-understood my point. It was considering the OP's position on entry point speakers. My recommendation is not to spend money on better caps, but on much better speakers. Bang for buck kept in balance.

I certainly do not believe all, even very good, amps or CD,s sound the same. Actually trying to do research on dynamic issues that could explain why the differences are as pronounced. I have some leads. My point was this is not the domain of entry level Polks and esoteric caps.

If we were talking about $4000 a pair speakers, that is another question entirely. BYW, building speakers is my hobby. Can I hear a difference on a $100 tweeter between a really cheap electro and a decent film? Yes. But if I spend the difference in cap cost on a much better tweeter, the difference is even greater. OK, after I plunk down $300 for a ScanSpeak, yes, I will put in films. (Well, actually I prefer to bi-amp).

The only other reason to spend money redoing entry level crossovers is as an educational exercise. The OP was not suggesting this, but was hoping some "magic" caps would make his entry, be they very good for the price, Polk's into high fidelity. Won't happen.

I still contend, speakers are 95% of the system. Room another 4%. Electronics are relatively easy. Of course we want the best electronics too, but for pure sound, speakers and room treatment is where it is at. An average AVR is better than the best speakers. Not that a Naim is not clearly better than a $400 Denon AVR, but it is splitting hairs compared with the speakers. If I had an extra $50 bucks, I would build some absorption panels long before I bought caps for a crossover.

Ah, BTW... I think building speakers when there are so many competent & affordable speaker brands around is rather silly. That's the sort of DIY I've never wanted to bother with (admittedly, due in part to my lack of ability with wood & Co.).

Last edited:
I have had many speakers too like: Kef, B&W, Klipsh, Canton, Wharfedale and many more. But for sure Polk Audio makes good speakers for the money. I have right now the "small tanks" the Polk Audio RTi A1 in Cherry These speakers are small but only in size, the sound is huge!. if you need Good bookshelf speakers look not further!. just look for excellent reviews all over the web. Who said you have to spend thousands to get decents speakers?.;)

Yeah, that's the spirit! I've come to the same conclusions myself.

I heard the RTi A1 in a shop... liked them! I think they're suited for a little larger rooms compared to my Monitor 30. Actually, though, I compared them to the Canton GLE420 from the recently improved GLE series, and I preferred the latter... both yet to break in of course. Maybe I'll go and compare them again.

Also, having loved my Epos ES12, I'd like to hear their cousins from Mordaunt Short, especially as this new Aviano series looks like a budget champ, with speakers from the Mezzo series put in a simpler cabinet..

Last edited:
Ah, BTW... I think building speakers when there are so many competent & affordable speaker brands around is rather silly. That's the sort of DIY I've never wanted to bother with (admittedly, due in part to my lack of manual ability).

I agreed with you 100%. I have build some speakers using excellent components and drivers from Parts Express ( they have speakers kits). But as you mentioned there are so many good and affordable speakers now that is not necessary to bother with. The only diy that I have now is an LM3875 integrated amp (really happy with it).;)

I agreed with you 100%. I have build some speakers using excellent components and drivers from Parts Express ( they have speakers kits). But as you mentioned there are so many good and affordable speakers now that is not necessary to bother with. The only diy that I have now is an LM3875 integrated amp (really happy with it).;)

Yup! Amps are the only thing I'd DIY (I did too, years ago). All the rest... I'd limit myself to modifying it :)

Alright, I just exchanged a couple of coaxial digital cables...

Of course, there's always a very audible difference. Mainly in terms of tonality... bit like with opamps.

The Beresford TRC-222 (all-copper) sounds quite good, but it's colorful to the extent of being a little colored.

The Gotham silver-plated sounds real good too, and tonally almost neutral though a little bit silvery

& The Supra TRICO-RCA, which I finally got myself to try, even before it's broken in feels like it's the best... bit more bass (sign of the least jitter) than the two above, bit more space too, smooth treble, & tonally similar to the (also silver-plated) Gotham, though not identical.

One thing's pretty obvious: you can tell in a second if the coaxial digital cable has some silver in it :)

Also, I've got another coaxial, this time all-silver, which even though not (officially) 75 ohm is good as a digital interconnect as well. Well, this one goes even further in the silvery sonics :)

Last edited: