The new "My Ref" Rev C thread - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2009, 08:13 PM   #771
diyAudio Member

Default anyone got an extra LM3886?

so my 'workbench' is my floor, and I wasn't paying attention and stepped on my amp while working on it and bent the LM3886 all the way flat. IDIOT, I know. Feel free to point and laugh. It might have been ok still, but with the leads as stretched out as the were I didn't wanna take any chances and fry something else on the board, so I'm replacing the LM3886. I'm gonna be making a mouser order soon, but they don't carry the LM3886 and I don't wanna pay $7 shipping on a digikey order for one $7 part. So anyone got an extra one they could send me? of course I'll pay you for the part and for postage. email me at kevin.gentsch@gmail.com if you can help. Thanks
Old 27th June 2009, 10:49 PM   #772
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

IIRC, they came from Apex, have you contacted him to see about a replacement?
Old 27th June 2009, 10:54 PM   #773
Apex Jr is online now Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I've already PM'd him...

Thanks

Steve @ Apex Jr
Old 6th July 2009, 09:46 PM   #774
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Another one lives!
After much procrastination and letting normal life get in the way I sat down to finish it up yesterday and I am listening to it as I type this! It sounds swell too. Still need to case it up, that was one of the things I was letting get in my way of completing it, so I decided to get a nice piece of plywood an mounted everything up on that. Looks pretty good too.
Old 6th July 2009, 09:50 PM   #775
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

You, sir, are slow as a guy pushing a rock up a hill!
Good to see you Bill.
Putting together another get together right now! Austin, TX will be the location.
Uriah
Old 6th July 2009, 11:42 PM   #776
diyAudio Member

True I am slow... But I must have done something right, it worked first time! Sounds great for sure, can't wait to get in burned in and moved into it's new home. I am on my deck listening to it with my cj pv-7, through my outdoor speakers, even with them, though.... Nice!!
Yeah it's good to be back around.
Austin, sorry to say it is just a tad outa my way. Hope it goes great and that things are well with you and yours. Settled by now I hope.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:01 PM   #777
diyAudio Member

Wink I'm slower......!!

Just enjoying stuffing these boards now!

I've got the resistors in, and am now considering the caps. I'll socket C9, 13, and 21 for some later tweaking, and also the LM318 (for easy replacement, unless socketing it is not recommended). Just a thought - I have some MUR860s knocking around. Do these merely replace D2-4 and the D2-4 positions are linked? Finally, I have a 1KVA trafo with dual 18V secondaries. Apart from being good for low impedance speakers (which mine aren't) is the downside just reduced power output?

Thanks for your thoughts, folks!

Cheers

Jon
Old 16th July 2009, 01:20 PM   #778
diyAudio Member

Ta-Da
It Lives, and after a week it really sounds great, beats my Hafler DH-200 with the musical concepts mod!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:24 PM   #779
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
your 1kVA 18+18Vac transformer will have at least two wires forming each secondary. It may be tri-fillar or even quad-fillar.
Open up the insulation around the secondary leadouts and examine the joint where the output flexible meets the solid core windings.

You can split these multi-fillar windings and series connect them instead of parallel connecting.

This will give an option for 18, 36, and maybe 54Vac windings.

It is unusual to use wire larger than 1.6mm diameter in these small to medium size transformers. That limits each winding to about 6A.
Your 27A transformer is very likely to have quad-fillar windings. You could even get 36+36+36+36Vac from it, to independently drive a two channel amplifier. 120W+120W into 8ohms, or 220W+220W into 4ohms, or 300W+300W into 3ohms.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:50 PM   #780
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I'm slower......!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jonclancy
[B Just a thought - I have some MUR860s knocking around. Do these merely replace D2-4 and the D2-4 positions are linked?[/B]
Hi jon,

sure you can use mur 860
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mur860.jpg (84.0 KB, 612 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!