DC Servo question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am planning to make another LM4702 amp with SAP15 devices (which is published in another topic in this forum). The amp will be in non inverted configuration with 33/1K (34X gain) and will be feeded by a 2 x 30V AC trafo and 20,000uF per rail PSU. That gives me ~42v per rail.
And in this amp there will be a DC servo circuit to prevent DC offset on output and for DC blocking.
My question is;
What opamp should I use for DC servo?
Is this configuration ok for me?;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Of course some calculations will be made. For U2 I will use LF412 as National guys recommended.
May you say something for this circuit?
Thx in advance..

Dxvideo said:
My question is; What opamp should I use for DC servo?

LF412 in my thoughts sounds ok ... since the circuit run's about @ 7Hz i think it does not matter if you get ones with higher slewrate ...
In my setup (same as in schematic) with a pair of LM4780 they do their job very well.

User "eva" sugested me a time ago, to add also a LowPass-Filter in that circuit as it's in the feedback ...

artQuake

Theoretically it will affect as things will be amplified thru the amount of gain you'l set, but in my application i practically could not hear any difference with or without servo. Only that the amp's run's really cool, even when pushed harder by using servos.

I found, read, respectively got good informations from eva, tiltedhalo, peranders, andrewT gootee and many other i do not remember at the moment to this topic ... search for DC-Servo in the forum ... i remember that peranders has written something about the frequency and if i remember right he suggested even to go lower (3 ... 5 Hz) ...
thats all i can say

artQuake

Addendum:
Found peranders' statement: LINK

Yes,
split R5 into 100k & 100k.
add a cap to form a T filter.
Otherwise all the distortion and noise from the servo opamp gets injected into the inverting input of the power amp. The T filter also reduces the level of audio signal passing to the inverting input.

412 or 411 both perform well.
The important parameters are:
FET input for ultra low bias current.
Low offset voltage
Low drift of offset voltage (with time and temperature).

Many modern opamps meet this spec. They do not need speed.

Consider adding a DC detect to the output and what to do do with the detect DC signal. This is necessary since the range of DC error that this circuit can correct is quite low.

If I’m right 470nF equals to fc ~ 3.3 Hz … enough ? i think yes. 1uF will take more space i guess ;)

Is C2 in the right position ? Would it not be better to place it between R3 and R4 // to D1 ... electrically it equals the same but in views of flow ... maybe i'm wrong, would be also nice to know ...

artQuake

So the coefficients are correct. If artquake's circuit is for 20K/1K gain resistors.
That's true dx :)

Thanks for clarification andrew ...

Isn't it enough adding a servo ? Is there really need for dc detection circuit when servo is running permanently ... would it get somehow more safe when adding dc detection in addition to servo for the worst case when the servo would change polarity ?

best regards
artQuake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.