Gainclone Cap Survey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't say what anyone hears, but the arguments for more paralleled capacitors makes sense.
Could it be that poor grounding schemes are screwing up the sound?

Anyway...
To those of you who have built these amps:
Will it still have the same good sound with a stiff supply with a lot of capacitance with a smaller value cap right at the device power terminals, or is a lot of capacitance bad altogether?
The logic in less capacitance still dosen't make any sense to me...
:scratch:

Upon reviewing the posts, I can see how you guys assumed I was saying more caps in parallel makes a cumulative higher inductance and that would be a "no brainer" but what I tried to convey in my posts was that each additional cap with its inductive element creates phase delivery problems that are audable. It should have said each additional cap will increase the effect of the inductance. Some people attribute this to poor grounding layouts because many times sonic improvements are achieved by changing the grounding scheme but I don't think its the root cause. The formula presented for calculating inductance in this thread is obviously correct but I don't think its application is relevant to making good sounding amps and I believe a more effective way to lower ESL/ESR is to use a single ultra low ESL/ESR bypass cap instead of relying on paralleling caps but as I said earlier, the forum is welcome to form their own opinion.

take a look at 'good' caps

Black Gates:
They say that they use superior dielectric, kind of carbon dust melange. No special other construction details.
nothing we can learn or change on this one besides using them.

Aerovox, slit foil caps:
I haven't opened one, but the 'slitted' foil could perhaps be interpreted as the paralleling of more caps in one housing. Just as mentioned in previous posts, in this kind of construction paralleling is made in an optimal manner: short connections between caps (in fact no leads at all between them, because the foil itself is the connection).
Here we can learn something from; it's perhaps possible to immitate this construction with individual caps.

my 2 cents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.