LM3875 gainclone problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I think I fixed my problem again. My speaker terminals were close to contacting my case, so I insulated those from the case with two small pieces of electrical tape. I like the idea of practicing soldering more. Also, jaycee's comment about replacing the coax cable interests me, and I'd like to hear a bit more about that (if there's any more to tell, that is). Thanks!

Forgot to mention, I re-ran the coax wires since that picture, so they look a bit better.

Pretty simple really, the cable you're using there for signal and for speaker is rated for signal voltages/currents only. It's fine for the input, but totally inappropriate for the high current output.

Also because it's coaxial (a conductor with a plastic spacing core, and a braided shield around the outside) this effectively appears as a small capacitor. When used on the output, it could set off an oscillation.

So, keep the coax for the line-level inputs, but replace it with regular cable for the outputs. Use some of the same cable you use from your amp to your speakers, if you can... but plain wire (such as the wire used for the power supply) will also do.

I double-checked with the person I got the cable from, and it's standard RG-174 cable, with ~30pf/foot capacitance. Should I still be concerned about replacing this, even though the longest length I have after the amplifier is ~8" (for a capacitance of ~20pf)? Not trying to get into a debate, I'm simply unsure if that warrants replacement, seeing how I'd lose the nice 95% shielding effect of the cable. However, I'm still unsure about they current-carrying capabilities of the wire, but I haven't encountered any trouble with it yet. Thanks again.

The main problem with using coax signal cable for speaker wire is not the capacitance, (although this does increase the chance of oscillation) it is the fact that it just isn't designed for high current. Sheilding on speaker wire isnt very important compared to the benifits of having low resistance, high current cable.

I'd strongly suggest you replace it.

Sheilding the speaker wire is not common practice, and would only make sence if the rest of the cable from the amp to your speakers was sheilded also. Just make sure that speaker wire and power wires are away from any signal cables. If these wires have to cross paths make them cross as perpendicular as possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.