14v / 16v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the cost of a DC-DC converter that will do what your asking; your better off buying a high current alternator..... or two or three.

I guarantee as it stands right now, when your pushing the amp at full volume your electrical system is dropping way below 14v. I bet if you measured the voltage at the amp it would be around 11v; if not lower.

Think about it, for 5,000w @ 14.4v your alternator needs to provide nearly 400A of current. I doubt it does 1/8 of that at idle.

What a joke. There's no way that box can provide 7 KW to a speaker.
Why don't you just wire in a fake box and tell everyone that it's an amp and you're getting a bazillion watts from it. If you can reach the threshold of pain with your system, no one can hear any louder anyway.

Astaroth said:
Adassa Audio The Warlord.....Non-regulated.The more volts you give it the more watts it gives back.5,000W RMS @ 14.4V/5,900W @ 16V.At 18 V it's over 7,000W RMS.

OK another SPL'er :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

You can look up 12 volt regulaters on the web. Several companies make them including US amps (Ithink they still make them) I see them e-bay every once in a while. And yes they have them up to 5KW output as I remember, possibly more for you special folks.

I guess in your case you could stack them :D :D :D . I believe they were outlawed by IASCA a while back but your probably not into that groups rulings as your SPL'er...
You know if you really need 16 volts buy seperate battery cells and stack your own to 16 volts. It will need its own seperate alternator to charge it set up to a higher output, but it sounds like you have money to burn, so it should be no big deal.
The 12 volt booster regulaters will cost you probably more than the amp did, but thats because they see you coming lol lol lol.

Good luck lol lol lol

PS why dont you stack the amps and run a 18 wheeler 24 volt system. It might be cheaper, and it will sure be more efficient on copper wire usage. I have seen a few 24 volt stereo systems, and its the way to go, "Loud As Fxxx" and thats all you really care about anyway, right?

I'll admit I used to be into the SPL scene. I would compare my interest in it to that of drag racing or a monster truck rally; completely pointless events meant to display the shear power of the machines.

I quite hanging around with the SPL folk quite some time ago. It doesn't take long to realize 99% of them are just brainless knuckleheads on an ego trip.:rolleyes:

most would prefer to have 16v because of drop in volts when you turn the amp on, it sucks that volts away.

If you were running at 14v you would need a lot of batteries to keep it at 14 volts, but it would drop to 12v almost instantly and at 12v he would only get 3400 watts, which is a big difference if you are trying to compete and you lose that much power. And plus two 8v batteries strapped together sit at 18v if he burps it well enough he should see around 7000 watts with that amp.

Oh and here this will help you astaroth:
http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Adassa_Audio_The_Warlord/

wow it says Efficiency @ 4 ohm: 86%.....i wonder what it is at 1 ohm though. :(

paulb said:

Would the thread starter care to comment?

I'll make a comment. Who the heck are any of you guys to judge this guy? Did he ask for your judgement? A person comes here to ask aquestion to people he trusted to givehim good technical advise, and he's picked on. I guess as long as you guys can make yourselves feel manly it's ok...

Nice job guys! Now run to your bathroom mirrors and flex with your shirts off, you coolguys! :bigthumb:

Judge ? me ? not unless hes in my SPL Lane !!!! (MECA SPL judge 2003-2006) :smash:
I encourage him to excel in his quest for knowledge, though i think the prerequisite for SPL people , you must be at least a lil crazy......
Having competed/ judged for several years i think ive seen a lil of most everything.......from 6kw/7.2kw amps that peak at 14kw. now its not uncommon to see a 10kw car amp and even seen the 180db mark smashed !!! by Scott Owens, that took 156 kw and 13 subs ....

that was kind of my point with the wattage... I think there should be an award for the least amount of wattage used to get the greatest SPL, THAT takes genuine work and challange to do.

You should watch peoples jaws drop when 6x9's beat some of their cheaply built subwoofers ( that they think are great) with more power. ;)

That being said if you're after max spl 6x9s wont do squat in the bass region... unless you have cabs specially made and they can handle 1kw :rolleyes:

I don't seem to have a problem dropping from 14.4v under load, unless I have a relay coil right before the power line which is just stupid. I would say a bank of a few batteries plus a high current alternator or maybe...two.... if you've got the money would probably keep it closer to 14.4v.

now its not uncommon to see a 10kw car amp and even seen the 180db mark smashed !!! by Scott Owens, that took 156 kw and 13 subs ....
:bigeyes: how do you extract that much from a car supply???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.