Ringing on gate signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What causes ringing on the upper and lower portions of a output gate signal? The output config is the same as Sinuslive 1500, opto-isolated half bridge.

A picture from each channel. Do I worry about this?

Attachments

• IMG_20120120_211259.jpg
    IMG_20120120_211259.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20120120_211358.jpg
    IMG_20120120_211358.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 152
I know how to setup differential using 2 probes. I guess never really thought about what happens when using a isolation transformer.

One other question on this amp. I set the supply voltage to 13.1Vdc coming in, idle current is ~2A. When I increase the voltage to 14.4V, idle current goes up to ~7A. Is this right? That seems high for something that should be in the operational voltage range.

The pwm frequency doesn't change both in the supply and output carrier. Just the amplitude of the signal.

I bought this amp used and it was apparently worked on by a previous person. It uses an IRFB31n20 output with 47ohm gate resistor. I found the diodes attached to the gates replaced with more 47 ohm resistors. I would assume this diode could be critical to get a faster turn off time of the fet. Is this correct?

That did it. What amazes me is the fact some of the solder joints were factory. So those diodes were replaced with resistors intentionally when manufactured. Maybe that is why the company went out of business. Diablo Audio Technologies, model Hellfire 2500.1 I heard these production model amps would burn up and my guess this is why.

It's to bad it is a nice amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.