Subwoofer amplifier MIK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
I have an amp that is built into a sobwoofer case that I haven't been able to fix. Maybe you guys can help me on you on this one? I have fixed a few amps before, but this particular amp is giving me a hard time. When I received it, both power supply mosfets (IRFZ44N) and four output transistors with one preamplifier transistor were shorted. So, I replaced them, but were unable to find the exact match for the preamplifier transistor B631K, for wich I used BD140 as a temporary replacement.

The amp powers up and everything seems to be fine: I get +-35V on the rectifiers and the led is green. However, as soon as I connect it to the speaker, the output transistors and preamps begin to get warm gradually to the point where they are so hot that I have to disconnect the power. I'm using a power supply with a weak current output of about 2A, so I have time to measure voltages before things get critical. I have checked other transistors in the audio section, but couldn't find any more shorts. What do you think? Thanks in advance for you time. Please see the attached pictures for reference.

Attachments

• DSCN5467.JPG
    DSCN5467.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN5468.JPG
    DSCN5468.JPG
    598.9 KB · Views: 136
The amp is still heating up with the leftmost driver (the original part that I didn't replace before) out of the circuit, so I guess the fault must be somewhere else? How do I check transistors for leaking? Also, the trasistors at the bottom Q22 (TIP42C) and Q23 (TIP24C) get warm as well, what purpose do they serve in the amp? Could it be that the diodes next to the drivers are faulty? Thanks for all the help.

OK, B->E reads 23 M ohms(red probe on Base and black on Emitter), the other way around is OL. B->C reads 22 M ohms(red probe on Base and black on Emitter), the other way around is OL. Do you suggest I should check other transistors in the audio section the same way?

I replaced 2sa1023 and 2sc1027 with new ones and the DC voltage on the speaker connections dropped from 0.39V to 0.1V, so this means that at least one transistor is still passin DC? I have removed and checked most of them and they seem fine, but maybe I missed something. I'll test the rest of them tomorrow, but if this won't lead me anywhere, is it okay to replace 2sa1266 with 2sa1015 and 2sc3198 with 2sc1815 in the audio section. I have another amp for parts.

After a long break from this amp I'm back. It appears to me that there is something wrong with TIP41C and TIP42C (located at the lower section of the pcb in the first picture). TIP41C has the voltages> B: 15.35V, C: 26V, E: 14.74V. TIP42C has the voltages> B: -16.5, C: -29.5V, E:-15,9V. The NPN transistor must have a negative emitter, right? How come all pins of either transistor have the same polarity. I removed them and got the same reading on the pads. Both transistors get quite hot as well. Do you have any ideas what I should check, rectifiers, maybe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.