mtx 1501d sawtooth waveform

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If it does it with that resistor out of the circuit, the problem is within the servo/feedback loop.

Is the voltage feeding the 5532 clean (free of ripple)?

As of now, the amp will go into protect (LED238 goes off) when driven to clipping (even without speakers) and has a high frequency noise (~50mv at the speaker terminals. Is this correct?

What's the DC voltage on pins 2 and 3 of the LM311 near the outputs (black lead on pin 4 of the IC for reference)? If the reference voltage on pin 3 is too low, it may be causing the protection circuit to trigger prematurely.

Perry Babin said:
As of now, the amp will go into protect (LED238 goes off) when driven to clipping (even without speakers) and has a high frequency noise (~50mv at the speaker terminals. Is this correct?

Yes. Amp will go into protection when driven to about quarter of supply rails voltage, without speaker. (100hz sine wave)

If I set skope to high enough I can see that noise in output has spikes about 800mVpp

I will measure those things soon.

Waveforms are almost same. Except the ones that have pulses (5), all pulses are bit lover (bit less voltage) and bit wider (last a bit longer).

Maybe when I tried to measure the voltage from yellow transformer the magnetic field screw up the measurement.

Even near the ic the scope sees about 6Vpp from air. 100mV ripple that I measured could be caused by that too.

The wider pulse width is required at the lower input voltage to reach the target voltage.

I think you need to determine why you're not getting consistent measurements. Do you have a ground clip to connect to the end of your scope probe? If so, you should use it (particularly when measuring the noise on the output).

Have you checked the continuity between the ground at the end of your probe and the chassis ground of the scope?

If the over-current protection circuit is tripping when you drive the amp to clipping and all output FETs, gate resistors and the diodes in the drive circuit are OK, I think you need to increase the value of the large resistors a bit more to increase the dead time. I can't think of anything else that would cause the amp's over-current protection to engage (LED238 going off).

It may be possible that the frequency of oscillation is too high or too low but I don't know how you'd change that. Maybe Eva could help if that's a problem with your amp. In the amps I've checked, the frequency of oscillation is between 60kHz and 160kHz. It varies and is at the lowest frequencies at high power output.

Perry Babin said:
The wider pulse width is required at the lower input voltage to reach the target voltage.

I think you need to determine why you're not getting consistent measurements. Do you have a ground clip to connect to the end of your scope probe? If so, you should use it (particularly when measuring the noise on the output).

Have you checked the continuity between the ground at the end of your probe and the chassis ground of the scope?

You're right.Propes ground is actually damaged inside! I dont have ground clip, skope is grounded to power ground.

Perry Babin said:
If the over-current protection circuit is tripping when you drive the amp to clipping and all output FETs, gate resistors and the diodes in the drive circuit are OK, I think you need to increase the value of the large resistors a bit more to increase the dead time. I can't think of anything else that would cause the amp's over-current protection to engage (LED238 going off).

I already did try increasing the resistors up to 470ohm. And it goes into protection way before clipping.

Perry Babin said:
It may be possible that the frequency of oscillation is too high or too low but I don't know how you'd change that. Maybe Eva could help if that's a problem with your amp. In the amps I've checked, the frequency of oscillation is between 60kHz and 160kHz. It varies and is at the lowest frequencies at high power output.

Oscillation frequency is about right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.