• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would you chose?

I'm planning to have my noble pot in the Audio Sector integrated changed to a 24 ladder stepped resistor control. Specifically a Scott Endler stereo attenuator. I've been told the 4k ohm might be the one to go with. The other choice is a 20k ohm unit. Which one do you guys suggest? My input impedance will be between 15 and 30 ohms...thanks to the buffer.

Thanks for any advice.:)

The pot used in an Integrated amp is 25k.

If Scott claims that 4k sounded the best, you may try that value, especially when buffer has very low output impedance. Otherwise, 10k or even 20k would be probably more suitable.

You can read about my experiments with passive volume controls here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73538&highlight=

The most recent one is getting closer to completion. Control interface was developed by Veteran:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peter Daniel said:
Yes, that buffer should work well with all amps, as the output impedance is 6ohm only.

The buffer should be installed on source output though.

Could i use it between source cd player and Amplifier ? I want to use it as a buffer with a nice pot. ie a small simple volume pot. I'm using one now as a passive pot but want to see what a buffer sounds like with out causing to much distortion.

Jase

Is there a way to get a balanced buffer in any way ? Would there be difference ?

Would i use it before the volume pot or after ( sorry just added that question )

i already have the buffer, and it still sounds great.
i would like to get my hands on the passive volume control
when its finished ;)

i like the display.

Attachments

• 584222_2.jpg
    584222_2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 953
Peter Daniel said:
I had very good results with buffer installed directly at DAC output and the switching attenuator directly at amp's input (one IC only)

Do i need to buy 2 of these or one ? Ie 1 Board will do both channels..?

All i need to add would be a transformer ?

Jase

Peter Daniel said:
A kit includes two boards, so one set is good for stereo, two sets neded for balanced setup.

All you need is transformer indeed (plus input/output connectors)

Interesting I could do balanced. .. Hum. Now im really interested. I wonder how it could compare to the Bosoz Pre-Amp that i currently have that buzzes and fuzzes.

Peter,
one more question about the integrated. I would like to turn one of the inputs into a direct connection bypassing the volume control. Is this ok and if so what is the best way to do this?

I figure since I only use one input any way. Why not have a direct input where I can try TVCs down the road with no secondary volume control in the way. Basically turn my integrated into an amp only.

I would have someone more skilled than myself to do the work for me.

TIA

My friend that uses the SB3, AS DAC, Patek and Django just emailed me his impressions of adding the buffer and the DIP to his setup. He also uses Zu Druid speakers.

"after installing the buffer the AS DAC setup took a huge leap forward in performance.everything opened up , got better defined .top end now very nice and extended.more presence in the musical presentation , more emotionally involving.
adding the DIP adds another nice quality . it definetly cleans up the signal .the effect is not as dramatic as with the buffer but there is definetly a few veils that are lifted with it .
very very cool."

This is good!! Glad someone else hears what I hear when adding these components to the chain. The DIP may or may not be a dramatic difference depending on how bad the source was from the start.

Good listening!

GHM said:
I would like to turn one of the inputs into a direct connection bypassing the volume control. Is this ok and if so what is the best way to do this?

I figure since I only use one input any way. Why not have a direct input where I can try TVCs down the road with no secondary volume control in the way. Basically turn my integrated into an amp only.

I've actually built an amp like that. One set of RCAs (close to center) were not connected to input selector switch, but directly to the PCB input. The other two RCAs went throug selector switch to the pot and also to the amp's input on the PCB.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,214
Hi Peter,

I finished assembling my LM3785 premium kit today (dual mono in power amp configuration, with 2 rectifing bridges and 2 toroids 300VA connected to a single IEC socket) but I'm having some problems getting it to work properly. I'm using my computer has source (when i connect the amp to my Marantz A/V reciever I hear only some kind of buzz sound) with some Kef loudspeakers but the sound I'm getting is very low and muddy. I think that all conections and solder joints are OK and I have all the grounds connected in one point.
Any help is appreciated, maybe some pics or tutorial would help newbies like me.

Thanks,

Paulo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.