AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 17th March 2005, 02:10 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I've built the first DAC yesterday. Here some pics.

I don't have to use coupling caps with my transport, that's why empty spots on a board where those caps should go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (67.1 KB, 9631 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th March 2005, 02:12 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

As you see I used Caddocks for I/V, but can't really comment at this stage how thay compare to Rikens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (82.9 KB, 7932 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th March 2005, 02:15 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

The 10u bypasses are mounted directly on receiver pins. The 47/50 bypass on the DAC is also mounted as close as possible, over the receiver chip. The 4 pins on the receiver were trimmed, to make space for that cap and ground trace on a bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (88.9 KB, 7590 views)
Old 17th March 2005, 02:18 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

The TDA1543 chip is mounted in a bottom layer, SMD regulator supplies DAC. The 4 Dale resistors take care of raw supply filtering.

You can also notice loop filter cap. I presently use FKP Wima, but want to try few other, including SMD versions. The fuse is soldered directly and there arre jumpers to switch between 115/230.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d4.jpg (77.5 KB, 7828 views)
Old 17th March 2005, 02:40 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

And now time for the credits. I wish to thank the following people, who either intentionally or unintentionally helped in developing that DAC:

To Thorsten and Elso, for popularizing the concept of Non oversampling DACs on this forum. Wthout them, I might never get interested.

To Fedde, who also got me interested (in 1543 DAC) but what's more, provided me the proven values of PS voltage and I/V resistors.

To Mr. Kusunoki, whose rev. 3 DAC was major inspiration here. From there, I used AN800X regulators and the input buffer chip. Also, from his first DAC, I took some ideas about raw PS filtering scheme.

To Brian Bell, who not only tought me how to use layout software, but also provided the components library for that project, as well arranged for the first two prototype boards.

Well, my thanks go also to Jocko, whose constant nagging about reflections and importance of input interface, made me think hard when designing input section.

Lastly, to Scott Nixon, who although didn't provide any influence on technical side of this design, yet with his interesting website and DAC offerings, showed me that marketing non oversampling DAC can be successfull.

Without all those people this project would not happen and I'm thankful to all of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d5.jpg (76.1 KB, 7618 views)
Old 17th March 2005, 03:32 PM   #126
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
Great work Peter. I'm glad i waited before purchasing a new DAC
elsewhere. Can't wait to hear this in the sytem.
Old 17th March 2005, 07:26 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Beautiful DAC, Peter. When to we get to see the stylistic PD case for it?! I'm expecting to see heatpipes and lexan
Old 17th March 2005, 07:30 PM   #128
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

kinda curious to see what the enclosure's gonna look like myself. always a pleasure to see PD's cases...
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 17th March 2005, 07:37 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

The inclosure is pretty simple, yet functional. I'm using 3 x 2 aluminum tubing, with end caps attached, sort of Amp-1 styling

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th March 2005, 07:41 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Speaking about Amp-1 and enclosures, I finally made a maching PS for the amp. Here's preliminary pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1.jpg (42.7 KB, 6136 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!