• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Audiosector USB DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My USB DAC is up and running! So first and foremost, thank you Peter!

Now on to the pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a hatred of Phillips head screws, so they will go and be replaced with a colored aluminum hex head. The cones will be replaced with satin silver ones once they come off of back-order. I made a couple of newbie mistakes when I was tired. I drilled the wrong side of the rear panel for the switch retainer/lock ring and I wired the switch backwards, so the tab points to the opposite source that is in use. I could fix the wiring, but I'm not terribly broken up about it so I'll just leave it be until I can't stand it any longer.

I have Peter's phono stage board that will be built in the same manner and will be paired with a AudioSector F5 clone and a balanced Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold.

I ordered and downloaded the plans from Decware for the Zen Open Baffle speakers and have the TB W8-1808Bs drivers on the way, though they will make a detour in Cananda at Planet 10 HiFi for enABL and basket dampening/smoothing mods before the final assembly. So when not paired with headphones, the sources and amps will be driving the ZOBs when they're finished.

Rumor has it that I'm getting a Dremel Trio and a Paasche Air Eraser for Father's Day too, so I'll etch the front of the DAC, phono stage, and amps for labeling. ;-)

Peter,

I'm looking for a DAC, to use with an Apple TV (optical input) and I am considering your kit (I think you mentioned it can be run with an optical input)

However, being overseas (UK) I'm not sure whether it is cheaper (or possible) to source the components locally.

I would be grateful if you could list the component supplied with your kit, so I can do a bit of research (apologies if I missed this elsewhere).

Thanks, Bruce.

The SPDIF DAC kit can be modified with Toslink (optical) receiver. It's best to get the whole kit (Premium version with Black Gates and Rikens) as some of those parts are not available any longer. It's also recommended to source transformer locally as additional overseas shipment on that would be quite expensive.

Contact me through email for more info.

Peter,

Complete noob here, sorry. Any plans to ever make the DAC 24/96 or 24/192 capable, or make it USB and SPDIF in one unit? I know you said earlier that the later would be expensive, so it's totally understandable that you haven't implemented it. USB to SPDIF converters are starting to really flood the market and will probably fall in price to the point where it's cheaper just to buy one and a SPDIF DAC than to buy a USB/SPDIF DAC.

I am putting together a DAC based on PCM1794. If it sounds better than my modified TDA1543 I will let everybody know.

Here some pics of my current reference: balanced TDA1543 DAC, further simplified with 3 separate regulators and no output coupling caps: hooked up to S&B TX102 TVC stage that takes care of offset cancelling and balanced to unbalaced conversion.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 975
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 491
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 499
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 427
Trouble Shooting

I am having a problem with my USB DAC. Recently, we had several power outages which did some damage to the DAC. It turns on, but the volume is extremely low and the sound is quite distorted. It sounds as if the bass and midrange is missing, and the sound is very buzzy with a lot of hiss/static. Any suggestions on where to start measuring/trouble shooting to identify the damaged components?

modification questions

I am a very happy user of your usb dac for quite a while. It is very good.

I am interested in experimenting with USB to a tda1541a board. Am I correct that I should be able to tap into the signal from pins 1,2&3 of the 1543 on your board, and drive the I2S inputs to a 1541 on a separate board?

For those that like to experiment, I suggest experamenting with Sanyo Os-Cons SEPC caps with this DAC. I used the 16SEPC150MD in place of the 1000uf blackgate NX which I had borrowed for another project and some Panasonic 5600uf caps in place of the bg std. Your opinion may vary but to me it took a leap forward. Sound stage bigger, 3d, and precise.
The DAC is excellent as specified. This tweek may be an interesting alternative to some.

Yes, that's correct, plus ground.

Awsome!! Thank you. I missed the ground.

This has allowed me to combine three amazing innovators in this hobby. Peter Danial gainclone, +USB DAC + CICSPlay + Lampizator TDA1541. Things are sounding good! Thanks again!

BTW.. put os-con sepc series caps at the pcm2706 with great effect. I think it takes it to a different level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.