Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 12th August 2008, 10:16 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by zebra100
To save me buying another transformer, could I get away with either using 1x 120VA transformer (low power I know, but I don’t listen loud anyway), or could I safely parallel the 2 transformers to give more power? What are the grounding options?
I understand you want to convert dual mono amp into stereo unit with a potentiometer at the input, hence the integraterd version.

If you connect two transformers in parallel, you will be getting more power only into low impedance loads, when single transformer couldn't before provide more power.

Otherwise there is not much gain in using transformers in parallel, it may actually degrade the sound.

If one 120VA transformer worked fine with a single channel, it might as well work fine with both channels.

Besides, if you are considering using 2 transformers in parallel, why not use them as previously, one per channel?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th August 2008, 12:58 PM   #212
diyAudio Member

Default British Transformers

I was reading Peter's thread with great interest. I noted that several people have asked where to find toroids in England. I have found that rs-online sell a 160VA 2 X 25V for a total of £18-95. A very nice price. I have not tried one but you can find it at www.uk.rs-online.com The manufacturer is Nuvotem and the part no. is 0160P1-2-025. I hope this is of use. Barry
Old 15th August 2008, 01:07 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter!

Is there a guide for bridging pairs of your LM4780 amplifiers?

Thanks man!
Old 15th August 2008, 01:32 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

There's only schematic, included with each LM4780 kit: http://audiosector.com/lm4780%20amp.pdf (the green option for bridged, red for parallel configurations).

I will be soon building more serious LM4780 bridged amps for my personal use, so some guide will be posted here as well.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th August 2008, 01:34 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
There's only schematic, included with each LM4780 kit: http://audiosector.com/lm4780%20amp.pdf (the green option for bridged, red for parallel configurations).

I will be soon building more serious LM4780 bridged amps for my personal use, so some guide will be posted here as well.
Oh, thank you!! This is such good news.
Old 18th August 2008, 12:30 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Default Transformers (UK & Europe)

As per Peter's recommendation for Polish transformers I bought two 22-0-22 300va transformers from Toroidy (http://www.toroidy.pl/index.php?opti...id=6&Itemid=13) with which I have been very happy. I am just about to order some 25-0-25 300va from them. They are not cheap but they are well made - please see for both the details of the transformers (in Polish!!) and Peter's use of them - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ht=#post930263
Old 19th August 2008, 12:15 PM   #217
Ted205 is offline Ted205  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've been reading around and it seems people recommend increased capacitance on the power rails. I've got some 2200uf caps that i was thinking of trying in the LM4780 kit, would this have any negative effect ?

also how do i rig the inputs for bridge mode ? i.e 2 chips in bridged mode left and right. The diagram provided with the kit shows two inputs for bridge mode. I'm abit confused.

cheers
Old 19th August 2008, 01:36 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

The diagram included with kits shows 2 options: parts and connections marked in red are for parallel configuration only, those marked in green are for stereo or bridged setup: http://audiosector.com/lm4780%20amp.pdf

More info was posted on a forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...565#post636565

It is no problem to add larger caps; depending on a system they may bring improvement, but not neccessarily.
Old 19th August 2008, 03:27 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Where do you get your heatsinks from (as used in the Patek amps)? I can't seem to find any suppliers in this country.
Old 19th August 2008, 03:55 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Neither Patek nor Integrated amp do not use any heatsinks. Copper bars and aluminum panels are sourced from Metal Supermarkets.

Hide this!Advertise here!