Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 28th May 2008, 02:56 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I do the same test for 4ohm load (8 resistors in parallel) and initially we can see 56W power output with rails going down even further to 29.5V.

However, as the heatsinks warm up (and it happens really fast), the power colapses down to 10W or so. Those heatsinks are definitely not suitable for 4ohm loads under full power.
I did the same test today with amp in a proper size chassis. A single channel was driven with 100Hz sine wave into 4ohm dummy load. Just before clipping, I measured the output voltage.

Initially, the amp was producing 46W, after half an hour the power dropped to 37W (12.2 RMS voltage across the 4 ohm load). The sine wave was still reasonably clean and the chassis only moderately warm. The heatsink with power resistors (used as load) was close to 50deg in temp.

We can conclude that the amp with 2 x 22V AC transformer will produce approx 40W into both 8 ohm and 4ohm loads (as measured).

The peak power should be much higher though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power.jpg (99.2 KB, 8028 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th May 2008, 12:11 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting all this info!

What is your take on using/not using a Ci cap on your boards to control DC offset?

Would a potted resistor work to to decrease DC offset? and if yes , what would you use and where would it go in the signal chain?

Thank You,

Robert

p.s. just received 2 of your kits!
Old 29th May 2008, 02:13 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rfenergy
What is your take on using/not using a Ci cap on your boards to control DC offset?

Would a potted resistor work to to decrease DC offset? and if yes , what would you use and where would it go in the signal chain?
In real life, the offset is quite low, especially with amp connected directly to preamp stage with low impedance buffered output.

I often measure chips for offset and it's quite possible to select them for less than 5mV offset in a given configuration.

Ci cap is in a signal path, and it will influence the sound basically same way as input coupling cap. That's why I prefer not to use it.

In a minimized GC circuit, I don't see a way to adjust offset with a trimpot. Lowering the input resistance will decrease the offset, but you might not want go too low with it.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 30th May 2008, 03:57 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Here're the DC offset values measured in a batch of 40 chips: top number at 0R, bottom at 15K input impedance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chips.jpg (99.2 KB, 8608 views)
Old 31st May 2008, 03:26 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Thank you!

Peter! once again ,I must thank you for all this information step by step.I know for sure many,many members will be helped .thank you Peter!
Old 31st May 2008, 04:08 PM   #96
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter -

A bit off topic.

It appears a multimeter is something I don't want to be without for this project.

I've seen bad reviews on some of the cheap ones but your Fluke is out of the question for me.

There is a model # VC97 @ MultimeterWhse.com for $29.95. Could I trouble you to check it out and let me know if you think it would give accurate enough measurements for a GC?

Any other lower priced recommendations on these would be appreciated as well. Nothing in budget class at P.E. or RatShack floats my boat.

Thanks - Bluto
Old 31st May 2008, 04:11 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Bluto,
Go to the shack and get a cheap DMM. It will do everything you require.

7/10
Old 31st May 2008, 04:20 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Yes, that one should work fine: http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/vc97.htm

I quiter often use similar, cheaper meter, and it works equally well as Fluke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meter.jpg (69.0 KB, 6509 views)
Old 1st June 2008, 03:17 PM   #99
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter, 7/10ths -

Thanks -

Peter - I'm gona get ahead of you for a minute if you don't mind.

A few Companies offer offer kits for bass /treble controls. I've seen snippets here and there as to why you don't want such but can't recall reasoning and think this might be a good place for that info. Can you give a quick read on your thoughts here in laymans terms?

Bluto
Old 1st June 2008, 03:30 PM   #100
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluto

A few Companies offer offer kits for bass /treble controls. I've seen snippets here and there as to why you don't want such but can't recall reasoning and think this might be a good place for that info. Can you give a quick read on your thoughts here in laymans terms?
Hi Bluto,
His design avoids an input coupling cap, sacrifices superior DC offset performance to avoid a feedback cap, and uses smaller than speced smoothing caps on the PS.
Why would he find it acceptable to put a bunch of them in for tone control, smack dab in the signal path?

Hide this!Advertise here!