The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

But I'm a bit over my head here, so any guidance from users out there would be appreciated.

I'd be inclined to just try randum stuff to see what, if anything, makes a difference. There's not much at stake here, no risk of damage.

1. Remove the extra capacitance from the power supply. Return the VSPS to stock.

2. Try with or without the phono input attached to the turntable. Try with or without the op amp in the socket.

3. Try the VSPS in a different system, away from the tube amp. Personally, I'd plug the VSPS output into a computer line/mic in and record the signal during shutdown. Use Audacity, so you can inspect the waveform in detail. If you have a laptop you can do this "in situ", recording the tube amp input signal (VSPS output) while the noise is happening.

/R

3. Try the VSPS in a different system, away from the tube amp. Personally, I'd plug the VSPS output into a computer line/mic in and record the signal during shutdown. Use Audacity, so you can inspect the waveform in detail. If you have a laptop you can do this "in situ", recording the tube amp input signal (VSPS output) while the noise is happening.

/R

Thanks for the excellent suggestion, Richard. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I will also try your other suggestions.

Carl

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Changing topic slightly.

Has anyone been tracking the component prices at Mouser recently? I try to plug in the BOM list into their web site every once in a while, just to make sure the part numbers are still valid.

Now, when I first was putting together kits for the Phonoclone 3, I remember pretty clearly that the single-quantity BOM came to about $80. So if I bought in quantities of ten, I could offer the kits for $125 including boards, Paypal fees, and shipping, and still work in the black.

Well, I just checked and the single-quantity BOM stacks up to ~$150! $140 for the VSPS300. OPA27s are over $4 each, and many more components have doubled in price since I last remember. While I still save in volume purchases, and I've managed to supply some parts (C1-3) with surplus stock from other sources, the fact of the matter is even after the price increases I made last summer to the VSPS300 and Phonoclone kits I'm still barely breaking even... or that will be the situation once I get through my current stock of parts, at any rate.

I need your opinion, or at least your thoughts: the price of the Phonoclone 3 kits is going to start pushing towards $200. That seems like a lot to me, but according to Mouser the parts alone are worth $150. What should I do?

.............I'd plug the VSPS output into a computer line/mic in and record the signal during shutdown. Use Audacity, so you can inspect the waveform in detail. If you have a laptop you can do this "in situ", recording the tube amp input signal (VSPS output) while the noise is happening.......
Could you open a Thread, or Blog, or ? and describe the method and equipment in more detail?

The kits are very convenient and still ridiculously good vfm at that price Richard. If that's the reality of the cost of parts your prices will have to rise to reflect this. You are always transparent on price, as you are on design considerations and your development processes.

+1 It's simple. If the price of the parts go up, the price of the kit goes up too.

Richard,

you cant do anything about the price of parts and your not ripping people off by charging a surcharge so even if people were to only buy the boards they would still have to pay the same for the components. to save your wallet you could start selling board only but the kits are more convenient. here in the UK we get ripped off and your kits are actually cheaper or around the same price than what i can source parts myself so it's easier just to buy the kit.

if the kits are $200 then thats the price.

dont put yourself out of pocket. your a very very kind man but kind wont pay bills.

bibs

I agree about kit prices. Truth is, if what you're seeing is real (I mean not just limited to Mouser), then other gear are likely to increase in price by similar margins, so I'd expect your kits will retain their appeal for a decent sized market. You might see an initial sticker shock, but I wouldn't expect much of a change once that settles down.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the kind words of support.

Shopping around, it seems components at Digikey and RS are priced about the same. The depreciating value of the Yen is part of the story, but I think also that Mouser in particular offered very attractive pricing 4-5 years ago when they made a big push to enter the Japanese market, and now they are moving to reclaim their profit margins.

I still have parts in stock from when I made placed some big orders at Mouser two years ago. Prices will stay as they are until probably the summer, but regrettably the kits are going to get quite a lot more expensive after that.

/R

Could you open a Thread, or Blog, or ? and describe the method and equipment in more detail?

It was just a suggestion, rather than something I'd actually done ... but the procedure itself is trivial. Looking for a strange turn off buzzing doesn't require high sensitivity or a low measurement noise floor, so its just a matter of getting a 3.5mm stereo <-> RCA adapter cable, and connecting the VSPS output to the line input of a laptop. I'd use the free software Audacity to record the sounds of turnoff, and (assuming the turn off spike was not so dire as to saturate the input) just throw up the data on screen to take a peek.

One further step up in complexity would be to make your own probe with a 3.5 mm jack on one end and alligator clips or something similar on the other end. You could even make a "10x" style probe with a voltage divider and AC coupling, so that 1) protect the laptop for DC voltage and 2) lower the input signal to allow larger voltages to be measured with the line level input.

Hello all,

this is a really great place! I've already build 3 VSPS preamps for me and a couple of friends and everything seem to always work great! :)

Anyway, and since I'm no electronic guru, my question is; what components should I bypass in the RIAA section to remove the RIAA equalization? I was trying to use the VSPS with old filter types (using software..), but I'm not shure if removing C1, C2, R4 and R5 will do it right?

Cheers all,

Isaac Daniel

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A flat amp, as a mic preamp or low noise preamp for data aquisition etc.

remove R3 R4 C1 C2

adjust R5 to set the gain as G=R5/R2+1. Circuit not recommended for G<5.

Attachments

• vsps_cir.gif
    vsps_cir.gif
    58.5 KB · Views: 323
I can only speak to the VSPS300 and it's value. You would have to compare it to something to make a judgement. It is logical to compare it to another similar item except there is nothing that truly compares. There are certainly other phono stages but none with 1)split rail power supply, 2)one single stage of gain, 3)world class non current limiting power supply built in.

Hi Richard,
What's the VSPS's input capacitance?
I'm trying to fine tune the input impedance to better match my new cartridge and need an estimate as to where to start.
(tried searching in the thread, but the forum's search engine being what it is, I couldn't the answer)
thanks!
Nick