Opus 3 Cantus parallel tracking arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heh heh, we'll have to be careful or we might have a case of convergence happening here.

I've been thinking too, and came to the conclusion I should be looking for a new modern cartridge with a bright clear future, not an old cartridge with an unknown past! $75 sounds very reasonable (even with an allowance for postage to Australia). And think of the savings I've made over the years hanging on to (and putting up with) this old 681. Surely that can be used as an argument (even to my harshest critic, me!) that I could even go a little further? What would you do if Great Aunt Martha left you another $50 or so in her will?

(A legitimate response is buy the OM10 AND a bottle of Jameson's to enjoy it with....)

Terry

Heh heh, we'll have to be careful or we might have a case of convergence happening here.

I've been thinking too, and came to the conclusion I should be looking for a new modern cartridge with a bright clear future, not an old cartridge with an unknown past! $75 sounds very reasonable (even with an allowance for postage to Australia). And think of the savings I've made over the years hanging on to (and putting up with) this old 681. Surely that can be used as an argument (even to my harshest critic, me!) that I could even go a little further? What would you do if Great Aunt Martha left you another $50 or so in her will?

(A legitimate response is buy the OM10 AND a bottle of Jameson's to enjoy it with....)

Terry

slainte!

Terry,
Last night I settled in for a listening session with the Empire 2000. Sounded fine but something was lacking. Poor sound stage and overall dullness. Not what I was accustomed to hearing so after a while I remounted the Ortofon OM that I thought needed a new stylus and everything came alive. Sound stage was huge with great detail. Beautiful balance and fullness. This is what I was hoping for with the Empire. So will the Empire beat the 681? I think maybe yes, but if you are buying one, the cost of the more modern, lighter, way better performing, OM10 is only a small amount more. There are lots of vendors on the web that have new OM10s at around the $75 mark. And you can upgrade the OM body by buying only the appropriate stylus. For me, this is one that jumps out and screams BUY ME.

I will be getting a new OM10 stylus soon and should find it tracking at low VTF. The old one is doing great at a bit less than 2 grams. Not having any problem with skips yet. Drags the lightweight carriage with no trouble. So will need to check that with further use.

Rgds,
BillG

Hello all linear tracking friends. Seems like a few months have passed with no action on the LT front. The ortofon OM stylus (generic replacement) arrived a week ago and I've been enjoying my LT and TT enormously since. Prior to that I did some construction on the LT arm to bring it closer to finished. The attached pic will give a good idea of the final thing. As you can see it it pretty much based on the general configuration of the real OPUS CANTUS arm but quite different in realization. First off there is the glass V track. For the arm wand(s) I used CROSS Biro refills, cleaned out of ink residue. The carriage members are scrap hardwood and the bearings are still the ceramic hybrid ones from way back when we were fooling around with bearings. The pic shows the current state of the LT arm. I made the base from scrap of the Corian used for the TT, so it matches well. The main mounting block is more scrap hardwood. The vertical post is aluminum drilled for a hardened steel rod which extends up into the hardwood block. A grub screw in the aluminum post locks the height setting, Not wanting to drill holes in the plinth yet and not knowing just where to put them I mounted a neodymium magnet in the Corian disk flush with its bottom face. Then I super glued a utility knife blade to the plinth in the general vicinity of where it should go. Made four tapped holes in the Corian disk and sharpened points on four stainless steel screws placed orthogonally. This provided whatever leveling might be needed. The magnet has sufficient strength to grab the thin steel knife blade even with the small air gap required to fine adjust the leveling of the glass track. The sharpened screws just bite ito the plinth and keep everithing lined up and stable. Should also do whatever the ubiquitous spikes do for energy draining and/or isolation. So there it is. Not quite gussied up enough, but presentable and functional to a very high degree. Tracking is great, sound is beautiful. It's a great pleasure to have the quality of reproduction be unchanged over the whole record. The highs sparkle, the lows are solid well matched to the rest of the sound and the mids are rich and full with no obvious distortion. Not a very scientific description, but the music sings. Found in a bunch of records that I was gifted a virtually mint recording of the sound track from "The Sting" featuring music of Scott Joplin. It is a mono recording but so real sounding it really gives one a thrill to sit back and savor every note. Mono has its place in the world. The TT sits on a shelf in a book case/hutch arrangement. The shelf is about 15" above floor level. To comfortably change records or whatever it is necessary to sit on the floor. Reaching across the arm to do anything is tough. This accounts for the unconventional mounting position of the arm forward and on a corner of the plinth. It's easy and safe to change record. Let's have some progress reporting from the rest of you LT fans.
P.S. The platter on the TT is white Corian. I normally have a good, black TT mat on it. Took it off for the pic so the head shell area and cartridge would be visible.
BillG

Attachments

• 167B.JPG
    167B.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218474-magnet-damped-unipivot.html

Assuming the link opens, you can see I've been seduced by the "other side," and I'm still working on that design, although planning for a major house remodel pretty much means everything else gets put aside, soon.

Bill, I really like the way your LT has evolved and I'm very pleased to hear it sounds good, too. Simple, elegant, just the way it should be. I never would have thought of putting an LT in that corner, but what a good idea. The whole package goes together well.

I practiced glass cutting so when it comes time to do a finished version of my LT support, I'll be able do the glass V.

Later,

nice mag-damped arm.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218474-magnet-damped-unipivot.html

Assuming the link opens, you can see I've been seduced by the "other side," and I'm still working on that design, although planning for a major house remodel pretty much means everything else gets put aside, soon.

Doug
Welcome to "the other side". Well the unipivot side anyway. I'll do you one better though: the 219 does not have or need dampning at all, and it is a unipivot. I like the delicacy of the sound (w/Grado Sig8 MCZ), and feel if I change anything it might harm the sound.

If I get up enough courage, I'd be willing to try a mag damped system on a 219 variant. My biggest issue would be creating an adjustable gap that my pivot would go through, and then sourcing good magnets in a ring shape.

I'd still like to build a LT, although I think it should use a knife edge as a vertical bearing, at or slightly below the arm shaft, and a roller carriage as used on the Cantus for lateral movement.

Bo's words on the Cantus arm

There is of course lot of different ways to make a tonearm. My goal for Cantus is in short: The cartridge tip shall read the information in the trac, on the same spot as it was cutted, This is not possible with a pivoted tonearm. The cartridge shall have a stable reference and not be able to "swing" i.e. there shalll not be a fundamental resonance in the system. This is not possible with a pivoted arm. To solve this there is two contact points, which makes the carriage, hold the cartridge to can move sideway but not get in resonance. There shall not be resonators coupled to the cartridge, such as the "organpipe" resonance that is common on most existing tonearms. I mean that when you have a tube almost one feet long coupled to the cartridge, the tube itself resonates on two feet and four feet tones approximately 300Hz and 600 Hz and overtones on this. By making the tonearmtubes very short, the resonace is forced up to higher frequencies, and by using a very small diameter on the tubes the resonance is reduced significantley. You can easely hear the tonearm resonance when you put down the cartridge in a quite trac on the record. When you compare the sound from Cantus with most of other tonearms you will find Cantus playing teh empty track, much quiter than other. There shall not be any other kind of energi storing in the system, flexible materials. All mechanical energi shall be converted to electric output from the cartridge. The vertical movement from the record, shall be damped. In Cantus it's solved by using ballbearing with a little sideway play. This means the contact point in the bearing is changed when the tonearm moves up and down. As the contact point is changed there is automaticly a damping, because it's not a resonant point. This is perhaps difficult to understand, so please give it some time and thoughts. The Cantus shall be possible to mount on most of recordplayers/turntables on the market, having a affordible price for musiclovers who is more intrested in the music than equipment, and be easy to repair if accidents appears. The tonearm tubes is made of hard nonmagnetic stainless steel. "Music shall swing - not tonearms" :eek:)! Sincerely Bo Hansson

Best regards Moray James.

distributor or?

Hi Nanook,
Good to see you involved with Opus 3 Continuo with Cantus tonearm. To make it clear, are you a distributor for the turntable and tonearm or just a consultant?

audiostar and others: I had intended on trying a liscence for manufacturing of the tables here, and had started working on that until Bossse's untimely death. I have been working towards something "loose" with Haken (the current owner). I have made a plinth as per Bo's basic recipe (which I will not disclose as it was given in trust to me by Bo prior to his passing). Bo's basic concepts follow mine however, so it wasn't much of a stretch. I have a Continuo bearing courtesy of Moray (a buggered one apparently).and must fit it and add a motor. I have several DC candidates that meet or exceed the motor from the Continuo in terms of performance. I have several platters that I can use, but would prefer to use something similar to what the Continuo uses (aluminium, of not known mass.) which I do not have. I believe a reasonable platter should be used , one in the 3kg range (

The Cantus tonearm is, I think, quite nicely designed, and I have seen Moray's. However there are a few minor issues with it, most notably fit and finnish. The mechanical workings are fine, but the devil is in the details, and I think this is where Bo's arm has been ultimately let down. It should be mechanically smooth to operate, and should look the part as well. Regardless I do believe the Cantus and Continuo represent an incredible bargain. Haken has addressed some of the smaller details, but issues with a design for world-wide use is something that should be considered and as of this date (unless it has been and I am unaware of it) has not been. Good design and implementation need not cost more.

Hi Nanook,
There are a lot of expensive high performing pivoted commercial tonearms out there. The Cantus tonearm is not expensive relatively speaking. Can the Cantus compete with those expensive tonearms? I look forward to your design
of the Opus 3 Continuo turntable with Cantus tonearm. Will this be out within a
year or will it take longer?

more Clearaudio clone

From the holgerbarske.com site?

ca07.jpg

ca08.jpg

And from the tag-produktdesign.de site

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.