Thorens TD-319

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

In the last months i have invested a lot in my audio systen. Now i feel it is time to adventure in the world of vinyl. I don't want to spend a to much money in the begining since i possess about 800 CDs and almost no vinyl at all, but i'd like to have a sound quality at last comparable to my digital setup (Audio Alchemy DDS Pro and Meridian 566).
I posess a Thorens TD-319 and i connected it one time but with unsatisfactory results. I didn' investigate futher, and the unit is in Italy now (i live in Holland).

My question is simple: is it worth tweaking this Thorens, or is it a beter idea to start buying a different turntable?

Thanks,
Fabio

Thats a very high quality requirement.

I'm not familiar with the 319, is it similar to the 320 ?

If so I'd suggest tweaking will not be enough.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• td320.gif
    td320.gif
    97.4 KB · Views: 684
All i can remember is that it has a mobile platform installed on springs.
About the quality, i realy don't have much experience with vinyl, so i don't know exactly what to expect. I've noticed that a lot of ealy CD releases from analog recordings sound realy bad on my now much more revealing system. I'd like their vinyl version to sound ad last significantly beter.

HBarske said:
The TD 318 already had auto stop.

Sorry you are quite correct, I got the models confused.

There does not appear to be a 319, its a 316 perhaps ?

HBarske said:
The TD 320 has been the top model of the range, and it was far superior to the TD 318, especially the tonearm.

On inspection I can't see why the more expensive arm would
necessarily sound much better than the cheaper arm, but I
have no personal experience of more recent Thorens arms.

Hello,

I've let somebody check the model of the turntabel. It's a TD318 with a Denon DL-300 cardrige.

Since it didn't sound well, shouldn't i first raplace the cardrige? I'm thinking of a Stanton 681.

What about the tonearm? Since it is inferior to that of the td320 is it a good idea to replace it woth for axample a Rega DB-300?

Other tweak suggestions?

Thanks

I'd go for an Ortofon 520 or 530 over the Stanton every time.

The Audio Technica AT120E/T is also a good choice for the arm,
available from the States around $50.

If your feeling adventurous so is the Walco :
http://www.garage-a-records.com/quadcart.html

The arm doesn't look that bad to me performance wise,
its certainly less expensive than the TP16 arm but there
doesn't look anything fundamentally wrong with it, I
prefer the TP21 headshell clamp (which should be tight)
to the TP16 bayonet armtube arrangements.

A Rega RB250 is far better than both arms, and could be fitted
as long as it doesn't upset the suspension too much, I've a
feeling its quite a bit heavier than the TP21 arm.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/td316_318.htm

You would also lose the autostop function.

IMO properly sited and properly setup, the 318 should work well.

Tweaks I can't suggest as I've never taken one apart.

But check the arm bearings for free play, and use "blutack"
on the main bearing mounting and the arm mounting plate.

Thorens

Hi All, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am creating a website for Thorens enthusiasts.... www.MyThorens.com It just went up tonight ! I am looking for people with worthwhile Thorens stories, tweaks/tips, home-brew products/ideas, gallery shots of their own Thorens decks etc. I want this to be an active community of Thorens fans...a place to discuss, suggest, read reviews etc.

So, if you would like to help build THE site for Thorens enthusiasts, please contact me. info@mythorens.com

billinchile said:

I have a TD318 (original manual here and receipt dated 9/6/85 for US$280 in hand) and have never been happy with the arm but didn't (until now, I guess) know why. Now, what is this "heatshrinking" business? A panacea, I hope.

I'm not sure how Thorens managed to make the arm resonance
performance so poor. It could be some of the bits the other side
of the bearing or even bits attached underneath, and I tend to
assume a very poor arm / subchassis interface.

Heatshrinking (do not use the adhesive variety) the arm
tube will add damping, whether its enough is hard to say.

I've never dealt with a Thorens TD318, I need
to take one apart to see what's wrong with it.

Believe me, if I weren't here on the opposite side of the globe, my 318 would quickly be on your doorstep for you to do just that whenever you might have the opportunity.

Shrinkwrap is not a familiar commodity here in Chile. No word for it in Spanish. So I tried to describe it a the local shop . They said they had seen some spaghetti size stuff once. Said it takes a hot airgun, which they don't supply either. Guess that means I'm "S-O-O-L", as they used to say (maybe they still do)::boggled:

FaZ72 said:
... but first i have to wait somebody bringing the tirntable to me from Italy (where my family lives).
Any comments?

Cheers

Since I have a Thorens 318 as well, I will be very interested to know how your tonearm substitution goes. I just took a look, and, assuming that you don't modify the plinth, you have a 4.5cm per side square in which to mount another arm. So that gives you some lee-way. But still, you should check the mounting requirements for any arm you intend to place there.

Just a bit of an off-subject note: I've been listening using my ARxa table today with a growing uneasiness that the sound wasn't right. Alignment and overhang checked out fine; but then I removed the rather thick after-market mat, putting the LP right on the meta platter. The improvement is amazing. The result, no doubt, of the changed VTA.

billinchile said:
I've been listening using my ARxa table today with a growing uneasiness that the sound wasn't right. Alignment and overhang checked out fine; but then I removed the rather thick after-market mat, putting the LP right on the meta platter. The improvement is amazing. The result, no doubt, of the changed VTA.

the AR Xa takes me back to those wonderous years in grad school!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.