Is there a Tube Mc Riaa?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Frank and I were going to do such a design, but I decided to abandon the effort because it did not appear to me that the dedicated MC phono stage could match the noise performance of a high gain phono stage with an SUT.

I was considering paralleling as many as 4 6pi45 in the front end to try and get the noise down. It still would not have matched the noise performance of my Muscovite design with an SUT.

I got discouraged... There is a thread on the topic here if you dig.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Also versions of Arthur Loesch phono stage. I haven't heard it.

1)

2)

I'll also mention Rod Coleman's shunt cascode circuit. I've built two versions so far, one with jFet front end and one that uses a step up transformer. He uses a jFet input stage on his, but the circuit is capable of so much gain I wonder if with care and the right tube(s) a two stage circuit could be used for MC.

As I understand it gets sensitive to noise in the first stage.

Played with this years ago. Single and multiple paralleled E88CCs. A single with 30v of battery power for the input tube worked satisfactorily with a 0.3mV cart. 4 sections were okayish for 0.1mV. But then i am not so fussy about noise; it is a part of the vinyl experience and the pinkish tube noise i find inoffensive. Others, certainly differ.

As i don't particularly enjoy the sound of paralleled devices, sticking to 0.5mV and above carts is probably best. As for the input tube...either a 6S45p as Kevin suggested or a triode strapped E280F, or a C3g.

What on earth does that nonsense mean? Pure class A vs what? Class D?

Of course it cannot be suitable for anything but high output MCs. It is simply a standard, boring MM pre with a bit of extra gain and variable loading. Yawn.

Ok take a chill pill , i was just trying to help by showing what the internet came up with after a search thats all doesn't mean i endorse it or that i'm an expert in such things ( unlike you obviously )

I use schematic below for mc phono amp.
Best of both worlds, low noise firststage and high headroom secondstage.
PL39 is for gain adjust with resistor to ground.
PL38 is input. you need to ad impedance circuit suitable for your cartridge.

Ronny

Attachments

• IMG_1161.PNG
    IMG_1161.PNG
    238.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    806.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1397.PNG
    IMG_1397.PNG
    539.7 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.