Finished modifying Thorens TD 160!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PTFE oil

Hi Frank,

Realistic used to have a something like this as a lubricant for god knows what.

Hehe, they sure did. Pocket Oiler! I have a 10 yr. old tube of it! That's what I use about every 3 months or so. It's good but I find it doesn't last long. Especially on the pinch roller bearing of my reel to reel tape decks. On them I find sewing machine oil works best.
The TD 180 has very cheap sort of like a big needle bearing. Hardened stainlees steel pin, brass bearing sleeve, with an oil reservoir. I guess after about 5 years of use it will get some play in it. I'll just have to live with it or get a new bearing from Thorens.

Thanks for your input
Wayne :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Wayne,

I guess after about 5 years of use it will get some play in it. I'll just have to live with it or get a new bearing from Thorens.

I wouldn't be that pessimistic...
My Thorens TD160S lasted about 30 years with just two replacement belts over the years.

The reason I suspect it died is that it wasn't setup level at my parents.
I gave it to my dad when I got married back in 1985 and when they moved places I was abroad so they just put it on a shelf and used it like that.

Funny you mention it, my PTFE tube must be at least the same age as yours.
For the TTs I just smear the bearing a little and add regular machine oil, seems to work fine.

The best I ever had was Slick 2000, a PTFE based motor additive.
It's really hard to find here now so the Tandy stuff has to do for now.

Cheers,;)

Hi guys,

I've used PTFE oil, that is normaly used for lubricating the chain on my mountainbike. I believe it is in it's purest form (not sure).
You should be able to get it at any deacent mountainbike shop.

Here are some points on what it does:

1. Resistant to high pressure and heavy loads.
2. Doesn't attract dirt.
3. Doesn't absorb water (unlike most oil's).
4. Very good penetrative quality's.
5. Very good adhesive quality's.

I cleaned and lubricated the bearing over a year ago, and the oil and bearing still look like new! The platter runs very smooth, and there's no rumble, try it and you'll like it.

Jerry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.