High Quality Phono stage kit, looking for ideas - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2014, 09:08 PM   #1
gthang is offline gthang  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default High Quality Phono stage kit, looking for ideas

Hi all.
I'm starting to think about new projects to occupy me over the winter. I'd like to build low powered SET amp and also a phono stage.

My (DIY Lenco based) turntable can accommodate up to 4 arms and carts at the same time. To make the best of things I need a phono stage with 4 inputs. I'm not able to design electronics but can follow instructions, solder and build things. I'd like some ideas please, idealy links to phono stage kits I can buy and adapt to include a switch and 4 inputs. 4 x MM is fine as I'll use SUT for my MCs.

So far I've found and like the look of this (should be possible to add more inputs and a swtich) VS Phono Stage with LCR Modules (kit)

Please post links to any more high quality phono stage kits you know of, valve or SS

Thank you very much.
Graham

Last edited by gthang; 23rd July 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 24th July 2014, 01:04 AM   #2
lexx21 is offline lexx21  United States
diyAudio Member

Does it have to be a kit? Would you be willing to build something point to point?
Old 24th July 2014, 01:51 AM   #3
mllum is offline mllum  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido Phono or Tetra Phono

My 2 cents worth.

You may want to consider John Broskie's designs. Either the Aikido Phono or the Tetra Phono. Either blank pcb's or partial kits may be found at Phono Preamps

I have bought and built 2 Aikido Phono preamps; one for my self and the other for a friend.

The Aikido Phono is excellent and sounds simply fabulous in comparison with my Linsley Hood Phono preamp , Audio Research PH-1 and a cheapo Rotel RQ970.

It now has a permanent place in my system.

I dont think you can go wrong with either of Broskie's designs. Although I haven't tried the Tetra Phono, I would venture a guess that it would be an equally good design.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Folded Simplistic phonostage by Salas is an excellent performer.I imagine you could add more inputs.
Contact Teabag he might have pcb's and parts kits available shortly after the recent group buy.
Old 24th July 2014, 09:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default I have heard and liked this commercial kit

It is a good one. High gain and quiet. A good Lenco deserves a good cart and arm with a good phono stage mandatory to get the most out of all three.

Eros Phono Preamplifier Kit | Bottlehead
Old 26th July 2014, 04:29 PM   #6
sherpa is offline sherpa  United States
diyAudio Member

I would highly recommend the Budgie from Shannon Parks DIYTube.com. I have compared it at a friends house with multiple phonostages including a Marantz 7c and the budgie beats it hands down. As an added bonus it's reasonably inexpensive to build. Shannon's forum has all the help you could ever need.
Paul
Old 26th July 2014, 05:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For sheer VFM look at the PhonoClone3

I've had one for over 2 years now and have no intention of changing it. Making it multi input shouldn't involve much more than adding the extra sockets and high quality switch.
Old 26th July 2014, 09:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much guys, lots here for me to consider. I'll have a read thought things and come back to the thread with my thoughts.
Old 27th July 2014, 07:39 AM   #9
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi all.

Please post links to any more high quality phono stage kits you know of, valve or SS

Thank you very much.
Graham
There is also the Hagtech Cornet 2 / 3 (not sure if the '3' is out yet).

Or the Elliott Sound Products P06.

You can Google these easy enough.

I suspect the Salas one will beat the others, hands down, though.

Regards,

Andy
Old 28th July 2014, 09:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've had a good look at the Salas one, while I could build it I'm too much of a novice for something like that as it assumes greater knowledge than I have. I will spend far too much time trying to understand what I need to buy beyond the PCB(s) and the mini kit. Shame, as no doubt it will be very good.

The Hagtech Cornet 2 looks like a good stage, however I have similar issues with that one and the case doesn't easily allow for extra inputs to be added.

I think perhaps I'm trying to punch above my weight so to speak with the idea of building a phono stage. I lack experience in bringing all the parts needed into one place to actually put it together. They all require a more solid understanding than I have.

Thanks very much for all the ideas and links.

Hide this!Advertise here!