How "Hi-Fi" are FM transmitters ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking about using a small FM transmitter to sync music (from computer or ipad or even an analogue source) to an FM tuner in my house - so range is small, but quality of sound is important. Any idea if the low cost modules I see around have good sound quality ?

Mono is sufficient, so long as it sounds good.

Thanks.

you mean the things that allow you to listen to the source you're broadcasting by dialing into an FM channel (usually 87 or something like that)?

They suck a**. Horrible sound quality.

Edit: I just saw that you wrote mono is sufficient. It sounds like you're just listening to audio books or something like that. It's fine for that purpose.

Yes, I mean FM broadcast not bluetooth. Mono is OK because my music listening is mostly mono - but it's not audio books, it's music. I have a Dynalab FM tuner as a source and thought I could 'stream' via this tuner.

Horrible audio quality is not going to be good enough. Sounds like this is a dead-end idea ?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My FM tuner lacks "hi-end" sound vs my other sources, but better than MP3 digital via internet playback, It's more dynamic and where MP3 noise is hardness, FM is analog hash..

No headaches ...... :)

Forgive the OT comment here, but I would much rather listen to 320kbps internet streams than FM radio any day. Heck, even 256kbps is fantastic compared to FM, IMO.:eek:

Heck, even 256kbps is fantastic compared to FM, IMO.:eek:
ooh, this is getting interesting :D

I must say, I'm not filled with confidence about using an in-house FM link. I think I'd want to hear from people who have found it to work well before I invest in this.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
ooh, this is getting interesting :D

I must say, I'm not filled with confidence about using an in-house FM link. I think I'd want to hear from people who have found it to work well before I invest in this.

Turn your FM tuner on and dial it to any good local station. If you consider the quality to be "hi-fi", then look no further.

Personally, I'd rather listen to an elephant play a kazoo.

WRT internet streams, there are numerous 320kbps streams ( both free and paid) which sound incredible. The vast majority of people, including so-called audiophiles, cannot reliaby discern (in double-blind tests) between lossless and high bitrate compressed files.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bigun

did you try one yourself ?

Not one in the link, but a similar 2 transistor circuit. I used a regulated Linear 12V supply & omitted the mic & associated components, as they obviously aren't required for line level. I "think" i kept the input to about 100mV or so.

If you make sure the input cap gives you the LF response you want with these type of circuits then :) Often they roll it off for mic duties !

Anyway, you could knock one up in around 1/2 an hour for less that $10 or so to try ;)

If you don't go for a mic version to alter, then look for similar but guitar/line types. If it's guitar type, lower the input resisistance to something more suiatable !

Thinking about using a small FM transmitter to sync music (from computer or ipad or even an analogue source) to an FM tuner in my house - so range is small, but quality of sound is important. Any idea if the low cost modules I see around have good sound quality ?

Mono is sufficient, so long as it sounds good.

Thanks.

Years back I heard a pirate FM station in LA run by a friend of a friend. He was running a CD with no processing and the levels were correct. It was the BEST audio ever to come out of that H-K Citation 15 tuner. It was as close to listening to my own CD as could be. I used to live near Chicago and WFMT was considered one of the best in the country. The pirate was at least as good - probably better. FM CAN be outstanding though it rarely is. The commercial stations in LA are dreadful.

The FM interface to a CD in my wife's car in '94 was quite acceptable. You might check one of those if you can still find one.

Last edited:
This thread seems to be about at least three different meanings of 'FM':
1. The broadcast FM system, which can provide superb results (apart from a slightly limited bandwidth) when used properly.
2. Typical modern FM stations, which sound horrible due to compression, limiting and generally poor engineering combined with a desire to sound loud.
3. Cheap personal FM transmitters, which can be quite good or very bad or anything in between.

Turn your FM tuner on and dial it to any good local station. If you consider the quality to be "hi-fi", then look no further.

Personally, I'd rather listen to an elephant play a kazoo.

WRT internet streams, there are numerous 320kbps streams ( both free and paid) which sound incredible. The vast majority of people, including so-called audiophiles, cannot reliaby discern (in double-blind tests) between lossless and high bitrate compressed files.

Then You have bad FM stations, see no 2 below ..:)

This thread seems to be about at least three different meanings of 'FM':
1. The broadcast FM system, which can provide superb results (apart from a slightly limited bandwidth) when used properly.
2. Typical modern FM stations, which sound horrible due to compression, limiting and generally poor engineering combined with a desire to sound loud.
3. Cheap personal FM transmitters, which can be quite good or very bad or anything in between.

On the local PBS , jazz hr is hosted differently day to day, the difference is cheese to chalk , on good nights its very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.