SY's syclotron mm preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Board complexity generally doesn't matter. What matters is: area, single or double side, one- or both (or none) side silkscreens, solder masks and turn-around time.

Jan

That's my experience as well. So, I am inspired to make the board as small as possible for that reason. It's a fun mind game for me.

For me, I just picked one that was easy to use and learned it as fast as I could. I have no idea if it's "best" what ever that means. The default in Pad2Pad is:
double sided, through hole plated, single side silk screen, double sided solder mask. You can save a little money by using surface mount components, since all of the drilling adds to the cost.

One other money saver, if your CAD system allows you to assemble a panel with multiple copies of a board. A panel with, say, 6 copies of the same board is often significantly cheaper that 6 boards, even with the extra cost of break-off scoring.

Jan

Yes, that option is available in Pad2Pad. There are two choices: panelized with tabs and panelized with V scoring.

Those prices are highway robbery for a small PCB run. Advanced is a great option (as few as 4 @ $33 each, not 5) if you are getting close to their 60 insq cut off.

For smaller boards in very small quantity, oshpark.com is likely the best option.

For in between in size or quantity, Gold Phoenix is still the best deal going -- and they nearly always send you double what you order. You can't necessarily rely on it, but you can certainly benefit. If you are just getting one design, there is no need to panelize. If there are multiple designs, then something like Gerbmerge will work (and will add scoring lines if you want). G.P. will either score it, or do the separation for you. Shipping is fast -- usually 7 days from order to delivery.

For very small boards, Olimex is still an option, and the board quality has improved considerably. But shipping is slow to the U.S.

Finally, for a U.S. "production" run, Imagineering is often a good option. Email them and argue a bit and they'll drop the price. They will usually end up ~$15-20 for 40 to 60 sq in boards in the 25 quantity range.

Really? So, 4 boards from Advanced is (4*33 = $132). You call that a deal when I can get 4 boards for less than $100?

Gold Phoenix starts at $100.... duh.

So, Pad2Pad is NOT highway robbery. See the attached photo. Duh.

I think I'm done having this stupid conversation.

Attachments

• p2p lm317 price.JPG
    p2p lm317 price.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Your vendor quoted me about $35 per board, 15 day lead time, for 4 boards.

Advanced was $33 per board, 5 day lead time.

I haven't looked at Doug's other options yet.

They aren't "my" vendor.... I don't understand. They are the vendor I use. What do you mean by a "quote"???? You can't get a real, accurate quote in Pad2Pad unless you actually design a board using their software. You can't just call them up and expect them to give you an accurate quote.

Sigh. You can't get 4x 60 square inch boards from P2P for $132. With the same lead time as advanced, it is $328. As I said, Advanced is good for larger boards.

With a 6 day lead time, P2P is $267 for 10x 4.7"x3.2" which is what SY was looking for. Gold Phoenix is $110.

I am sure P2P is good in some cases. But perhaps not this one.

They have that feature on their website. It's called "Instant Quote."

They also state that the price depends on how many holes have to be drilled, as well as other features, so the "quote" is merely an estimate. That's why they recommend SMD's to reduce board cost.

Also, Pad2Pad limits board size to 5" x 7" for low cost prototype work. I find that size to be plenty big enough for anything I want to do. I break up large designs into smaller pieces to get the discount.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.