Hagerman Bugle 2

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah...but if you want mil spec you should use RN. :) I find sometimes they are
cheaper than the equivalent CMF.

For my Bugle2, I got lazy and just used the xicons from the BOM. I think it's
working nicely and has handily dispatched a Creek MM phono I had lying around.

I hope to test it more against some other phono preamps.

Right, RN of course. Are CNF and RN the exact same thing? I'm still confused as for example CMF55 industrial is rated at 0,5W and CMF55/RN55 is rated at 0,125W. How can the same resistor have different ratings?

I should probably just stick with the parts the designer recommends. After all he put a lot of thought into it. But then again I like the look of the Vishay resistors. Nobody can ever know i get excited about the looks of resistors .... :D

Now do you like the brown dale resistors or the blue ones? :)

Here's what the CMF datasheet says:

"(Except for marking, the Industrial and Military versions are exactly the same)."

https://www.vishay.com/docs/31018/cmfind.pdf

holy cow, didn't know they came in a choice of colours :D
the brown ones are the ones I'm aiming for.

dropped an email to Jim Hagerman asking if RN55C would be the right ones to use to get close to the "Elite" Version he used to sell. he said yes, so RN55C it is.

i intend to put the bugle into a metal chassis instead of the suggested plastic one. with the plastic box gnd connection to the chassis is not an option as ...well it's made of plastic. using a metal chassis, should gnd be connected to the chassis or rather isolated from the chassis?

i intend to put the bugle into a metal chassis instead of the suggested plastic one. with the plastic box gnd connection to the chassis is not an option as ...well it's made of plastic. using a metal chassis, should gnd be connected to the chassis or rather isolated from the chassis?

Not sure what you mean by 'gnd' but, from memory, the Bugle has a DC feed.

If I'm correct then your metal case will not be 'mains earthed' unless you:
* put a ground post on the back of the case (and scrape away the powder-coat or anodising on the inside of the case, around the ground post hole - so the ground post can make a good contact with the case), and then
* use an earth wire (with banana plug or spade connector) to take an earth wire to a component (such as your preamp) which has a mains post and is mains powered - and therefore mains-earthed.

But the RCA sockets on the Bugle should be isolated from the metal case - using the standard collars.

And I suggest you install a parallel pair of input RCAs so you can use this 2nd pair for 'load plugs' - eg. to make sure you have the correct 'C' load for your MM cart.

Andy

Sorry for not being clear about my GND question. I was referring to the GND thumb screw between the RCA inputs. In this picture on the right between the RCAs.

bugle2assembly.jpg

No idea what you mean by installing the parallel pair of RCAs as load plugs. I can set the load with a resistors on the board, right?