Paradise Builders - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 05:06 PM   #241
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #242
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes the boards are double layer (Thanks Benedetto). They do have markings in the corners for mounting holes, that are not drilled since it was unclear which type of screws people would use. But you can safely drill there, no wires in that space (and no ground plane - watch out for unwanted ground connections when putting metal screws in other places on the PCB!!)
Old 7th November 2012, 09:19 AM   #243
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of putting small pieces of copperplate on top of the clusters of trannies, to equalize the temperature, and maybe holding it in place with some small cableties, but only if necessary
Old 7th November 2012, 09:50 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Its probably good enough to glue a U-shaped piece of copper on top of the transistors (using superglue). Have not tried this, though. At some point we were considering a "heatsink"-like piece of aluminum, wiht holes where the transistors are, but it never went anywhere.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:39 AM   #245
heinz1 is offline heinz1  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesener View Post
At some point we were considering a "heatsink"-like piece of aluminum, wiht holes where the transistors are, but it never went anywhere.
Such small heatsinks would be available here:

xen-audio
Old 7th November 2012, 12:15 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Hi,

one question regarding the 4 100/16 capacitors. I still have some Black Gate N and I could use it for those areas. The RM does not fit 100%. However, they are non polar

1) can I use them
2) does it make sense to use them at this location (I like to use them, not to waste them).

The 10/16 and 10/25 will be Elna RFS. Anything, which tells me, that I should use slower capacitors. Like Panasonic FM, FR etc.?

Many thanks, tom
Old 7th November 2012, 06:26 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrstagl View Post
Hi,

one question regarding the 4 100/16 capacitors. I still have some Black Gate N and I could use it for those areas. The RM does not fit 100%. However, they are non polar

1) can I use them
2) does it make sense to use them at this location (I like to use them, not to waste them).

The 10/16 and 10/25 will be Elna RFS. Anything, which tells me, that I should use slower capacitors. Like Panasonic FM, FR etc.?

Many thanks, tom
Hi Tom,

my take would be that C103/C203 would benefit from "good" caps, whereas C100/C200 can be regular elcaps - these are "isolated" from the rest of the circuit with rather large resistors so their influence is less.

On the 10uF caps, you can certainly try the Elna RFS. I have used Panasonic FM (or similar) with good results. There are some concerns that a "too good" cap at this spot (especially C105/C205) can cause the shunt to oscillate, but I did not find that to happen (the blocking caps at the mirrors are even lower high frequency impedance anyway). So just try and see if it works......

just my two cents
Old 7th November 2012, 06:58 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

I have used NIC for the 10uf and Panasonic FM for the 100uf
Old 12th November 2012, 10:37 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You see, the great PCB spirit heard our plea.
BTW, are those parallel 33.3n and 11n designations some picks advised to be made from a bunch of 33n and 10n standard caps with an LCR, or just to be measured as a total 1% parts based capacitance after installation and supplemented with some small extra one(s) if necessary? A couple of 100n and a 22n even?

The "calculated" values are 33.3n and 11n. There should be enough space on the PCB to acommodate these values with paralleling caps so you get the exact values, as good as possible. In my build I used 100pF and 220pF caps in addition to bigger caps to add up to just the right number. More important however than the absolute value is to get it right between the two channels so you get the stereo imaging right.

just my two cents.... this stuff should really be discussed in the "Paradise Builders" thread:

Paradise Builders
Old 12th November 2012, 10:49 AM   #250
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

...Moved. I was thinking just a couple 100nF for that 6x33.3nF and one 22nF for those 2x11nF was my alternative drift. Some 5mm pitch 1% probably.

Hide this!Advertise here!