Paradise Builders

The Yamaha has 30 Ohm impedance.
The Johnson noise from this is 10dB more then the Paradise.

Hi Joachim where am i going wrong, passive pre? Or maybe this is a cart that cant live w/o sut?

Im sure its gem but maybe not ideal for my setup, came on my table almost unused. I suspect he was never able to get it dialed in.

What effect will the 100pF cap at input have?

Maybe we dropped the 'Mosfet-Clipper' idea a bit to fast, after giving it a bit more time I have this:

In 1.8V THD -190dB :)) yes I know it is simulation)
In 1.9V... and more volts it is limiting to below 1.9V

When limiting, all even harmonics, the odd harmonics are always below -180dB (yes, yes... I know :))

P.s. Should have been posted here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/258549-assemblage-power-amp-10.html#post4013787
Sorry for that :)

Attachments

• Mosfet Clipper Tester.PNG
    Mosfet Clipper Tester.PNG
    148.8 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
You see many so called " Low Noise " MC phono input stages use an Opamp.
For example AD797, LT1028 and such.
Those opamps have a noise impedance of ca. 50 Ohm.
With your Yamaha plus the Paradise you get around 40 Ohm so this is still more quiet as most stages around there.
The best vinyl i found is a German DIN test record.
In the midrange i measured a signal noise of -72dB.
So when the stone hits the plastic noise will likely be swapped by vinyl noise.
It is only when you crank it without listening to a record you may hear some noise.
Nevertheless i made the Paradise as low noise as i could.
The debate is still open if that improves the sound although the vinyl swapps it.
I think so.
To get enough volume from a low output cartridge is another matter.
One way is adding a line stage with gain.
The other posibility is raising the gain from the Paradise.
Because it is a transimpedance design it can be done with the RIAA components.
When you halve the values of the capacitors and double the values of the resistors you get 6dB more gain.
When you use a transformer you do not win much with your Yamaha.
There is still the 30 Ohm impedance of the Yamaha.
You get a slight benefit because a really good transformer has a DC input impedance of around 1 Ohm.
So Yamaha plus Paradise is 40 Ohm and Yamaha plus transformer is 31 Ohm.
The other adsvantage is that with the transformer you do not get 1/F noise ( flicker noise ).
The corner freuency of the transistors used in the Paradise is quite low and the ear is also not very sensitive in the bass ( Fletcher-Munson curve ) so in praxis i do not see much sense to use a transformer with the Yamaha.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Maybe we dropped the 'Mosfet-Clipper' idea a bit to fast, after giving it a bit more time I have this:

In 1.8V THD -190dB :)) yes I know it is simulation)
In 1.9V... and more volts it is limiting to below 1.9V

When limiting, all even harmonics, the odd harmonics are always below -180dB (yes, yes... I know :))

P.s. Should have been posted here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/258549-assemblage-power-amp-10.html#post4013787
Sorry for that :)

I will take in consideration off course.

With regards to the large LED banks of the regulator lighting up late I have another observation. Years ago I purchased a relatively cheap kit for a burn in generator called Frybaby, these days only available as complete device. Yes I know, I was young back then etc... :D

According to the technical data this device has a output voltage of 1mVrms on the MC setting. When I measure it with my "true RMS" multimeter shows more like 2mV.

Anyways, when I switch this thing on, on boths channels one side of the LED banks "flickers", LEDs go off and on again briefly. Same side going off/on on both boards.

More evidence for something "starving"?

Thanks
Sven

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested I have taken some needle drops of my Paradise with five different cartridges. Deck is a re-plinthed Lenco L75, Audiomods Series III arm. Track is Pink Floyd Money, MFSL pressing of DSOTM. Loading is 180 ohms for all of them. Tracking weight was 1.4g for the Denon and 1.8-2g for the rest of them. The Dynavector is just back from a retip, the Supex has also had its stylus replaced. Files are 24/48 FLAC :

Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mNigTsST6ZMmNCdjFEbzYxUWM/edit?usp=sharing

Audio Technica AT33 ML:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mNigTsST6ZQzZVbW5DNjBYSmM/edit?usp=sharing

Supex SD-900:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mNigTsST6ZRTJzQ1BwRE9hbTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Entre EC-1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mNigTsST6ZRk9sSlVZbExscUE/edit?usp=sharing

Denon DL-S1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mNigTsST6ZTy01LUdPT1Jxbjg/edit?usp=sharing

ONE STEREO KIT FOR SALE: EUROPE ONLY.

I have the boards and components as in the original group buy. Due to sickness I cannot build this kit. NO PREPARATION OR SOLDERING HAS BEEN DONE.

It will be shipped by safest insured postage only.

From memory this cost a total of Euro 170+ shipping. I will accept the first offer at the same price [changed to UK £ sterling. - which is , at 1.20 / £, Euro UK £ 141.00 .

Paypal only please.

Postage will be limited to £12.00 = TOTAL COST - UK £153.00. Please EMAIL me through this site.

To avoid complications, the first bidder takes preference and must pay within 24 hours, if not the second bidder will automatically take his place, and so on.

BONUS…….a stereo pair of Calvin boards for free with above.

I have NO pre-reg parts.

Last edited:
brianco, if you'd like I'll build that up for you.

That is a very kind offer. Andrew T - who lives nearby - has come up with the same offer. Unfortunately it has been confirmed that I have Meniere's Disease and that I have lost quite a lot of my hearing. Also I have an original (often rebuilt in Japan) Kondo Audionote Io cartridge….they have one of the lowest ever output voltages. These are the reasons that it was offered for resale, and is now sold to a DIYAudio member here in the UK. He will doubtless report on his progress and - if necessary - ask for assistance.

Again thank you for your offers gentlemen….much appreciated.

I have to say here that I have a pair of speakers designed by Joachim for Soltice and they are just so pleasant to listen to…even with my impaired state of hearing! Thank you too Joachim.

Sorry to hear about your condition.
If there is a House of Hearing institute (as in Howard House ) over in Europe, I would get tested by them since they appear to be on the cutting edge of hearing problems and have been at it for a long time.
Even with hearing issues I hope you can still enjoy the music.
Be careful what drugs you are given and check which ones are bad for the hearing mechanism. There are many...

Regards
David

Thanks for the messages guys; the worst part is vomiting, balance loss and cold sweats.

Despite this I still enjoy music enormously. My present preference is for chamber music and solo instrumentals. We are lucky here as we get regular visits from world class performers. Despite the hearing loss tinitus etc I can still hear - I think - quite critically. It is important to listen to live music as often as you can. Wish I still had my old reel to reel Philips studio decks and Neumann valve mics. (mainly C24 and a pair of C12) ! then I could really judge my home set-up!!!

Re House of Hearing…..they are good - but being a success based company their reps can be anything from brilliant to downright deceitful. We have an excellent copany in Edinburgh and I am testing some top end Phonak aids….they seem very promising, but at US$ 5.5K I have to be sure!!!! Could get some good gear or salmon fishing for that!!!

Hi Salas, I do think the separation and dynamics on the Dynavector are the best. You can hear the treble lift on the AT, and also the Supex but the Supex souns more natural. I am impressed by the Entre as well, nearly 40 years old but still sounding very good with no obvious issues, it's not far behind the Denon or the Dynavector.