Paradise Builders

Mark, I wouldn't worry you have the same caps as Joachim as your bypass caps in the pre-reg, that's why I chose them.... ;-)

Marks build is pretty standard apart from the component matching. The input stage trannies are matched better than 1%, the current mirrors are matched to 1% and all others to 2%. Everything in the riaa is matched to better than 0.1%, infact the caps are matched to +/- 1pf.

It does sound very good, a testament to the design work of the team.

It does sound very good, a testament to the design work of the team.

Semms like you have eard 3 or 4 Paradises so far my second paradise with same caps (tankyou) is far far away (not even unpacked my Fifi jet) it will be interesting to have a Paradise comparison.

Eventualy I will build second one and was going for same matching of the transistors so what differencies one shuld expect ?

please Simon tel me more

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now listening to my last paradise build.... so far not very distant from the last one in terms of sound presentation.... off course I now am able to reduce input offset to zero and output offset to some 5mV.... opening up nicely while burning in, I notice a higher noise floor than my previous build.... I used lower hfe bjts overall... can this be the reason ?

I think that depends on how you build it. The best version of the Paradise i heard had a tube power supply build by my Lithunian friend Andrejs. That sounded as good as it gets, particular tonal shadings and colors.
What i found is exceptional with the Paradise is bass. It is very dynamic, deep and tight.
It is also very low noise.
The boards where conventional stuffed as in the guide that Hesener made.
No exotic parts.

Good morning Joachim

Question: That tube power supply build from your Lithunian friend Andrejs,
has it a tube voltage control and with which output voltage works his PSU ?
Background is I have some boards :) without shunt controler and play with the Idea to build up a alternativ PSU, maybe with batterie power and tube voltage control :confused: The irish winter evenings are very long ;)

Take care
Werner

Werner, i do not know the circuit in detail. It is a tube rectifier and the voltage is stabilized by a special zener. There is LC filtering with big chokes.

The Dale resistors at the input i like very much. They sound big and not agressive at all.
Yes, styrene may bring you some benefit in terms of detail resolution.
The Z-Foils i use sometimes too. They have a dead accurate, matter of fact " sound ".

Semms like you have eard 3 or 4 Paradises so far my second paradise with same caps (tankyou) is far far away (not even unpacked my Fifi jet) it will be interesting to have a Paradise comparison.

Eventualy I will build second one and was going for same matching of the transistors so what differencies one shuld expect ?

please Simon tel me more

I've built three, and heard two more. I spent a lot of time with my 1st unit (5%), My 2nd unit (<1%) and Marks unit (<2%). I've done a number of back to backs between my 5% and beeter than 1% units.

Ostensibly they sound the same, tonally they are not really any different. Where they do differ is in stereo placement and sounstage precision, the better matched unit has much sharper focus. Dynamically the better matched stage seems to start and stop with more precision, it feels quicker, more lively, but also capable of greater silence.

I hate to say it but it really is the dirty window analogy, it's the same, just better, cleaner, drier, sharper and faster.

I ended up matching my input stage transistors so that they were all an exact numerical match for hfe, it took ages. But I do feel it was worthwhile.

How does your Paradise sound ?

How does it sound? It sounds remarkable is how it sounds! It sounds like you have had a whole amplifier upgrade. It makes my old stage sound quite compressed, vague and soft in the bass. The ability to separate out strands of the music and present them as a coherent rhythmic whole is the best I have ever heard - as a result, timing is outstanding. Detail retrieval is astonishing, but it isn't thrust at you in a 'look at me' sort of way. It could never be described as warm and euphonic, but neither is at all hard or have any transistor 'glare'. Vocal communication is outstanding and the bass is simply Stygian in depth, power and definition - dynamic range is truly amazing!

As you say, it has very low noise and also seems to be quite impervious to mobile phones or radio transmissions.

I already asked Andrejs for a circuit diagram but he refused and there is the issue of very high cost and potentially letahl voltage. That is one of the reasons i do not publish tube circuits here.
Of cause you can try your own tube regulator.
There are a lot of designs around here.
The supply voltage to the Paradise should be the same then Frans Shunt.

As I said before, I have a parsdise system with calvin buffer, prereg batterie power working since 3 weeks and absolutly happy.
It,s only beause I would like to hear the difference.
Take it easy
Werner