Paradise Builders

I've built three, and heard two more. I spent a lot of time with my 1st unit (5%), My 2nd unit (<1%) and Marks unit (<2%). I've done a number of back to backs between my 5% and beeter than 1% units.

Ostensibly they sound the same, tonally they are not really any different. Where they do differ is in stereo placement and sounstage precision, the better matched unit has much sharper focus. Dynamically the better matched stage seems to start and stop with more precision, it feels quicker, more lively, but also capable of greater silence.

I hate to say it but it really is the dirty window analogy, it's the same, just better, cleaner, drier, sharper and faster.

I ended up matching my input stage transistors so that they were all an exact numerical match for hfe, it took ages. But I do feel it was worthwhile.

My thoughts exactly, dirty window analogy does me fine, although it was not that dirty at the start.

My R2 is still in storage and is not bad at all ("Londoner that is alright sort of thing really is more like flipping blopping marvels ")

IMO The most astonishing quality of the R2 is the attack especially on wind instruments and such. Never heard the T just before the start of a note so life like.

Eventually, once I rebuild my lab, I will start with the R3 boards and take my time as you say I am sure it is worth the effort.

What you lot did not get spare boards :D

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Joachim

Lately I have been experiencing trouble amplifying a Benz LP with a phono preamp that is not connected to mains earth.

The issue consists on random noise like "pops" coming from both channels but not simultaneously and without any timing pattern.

The issue can be minimized just by changing cables (but I could not get rid of it) so I believe capacitance of the cables might be acting as some kind of filter.

I was wondering if using a capacitor as load would minimize this static pickup. Did you ever experience something like that ?

Ricardo, i had that problem recently too. I found a 35 year old AT33E ( AudioTechnica MC ) and had it retipped with a Shibata needle. Actually it sounds pretty good, even surprizing good but i got a bit of hum that i could not get away 100%. I think that comes because the cartridge body is not 100% from metal and my Spiral Groove Centroid arm has no ground wire. With my Titan i it is dead quiet. And then i also got this cracking noises, like ocasional popping popcorn. Actually it is popcorn noise. I can only asume that the wire inside the AT33A is a bit coroded after all this years.
Anyway, will put my Titan back.
I have no experience with Benz cartridges in my home. I got a friend of mine a smaller Benz ( forgot the name, retail is around 800,- € ) that works in his system without problems.

Last edited:
The effect of the parralel capacitor is dependent on the impedance of the uses MC cartridge. A Titan i with ca. 5 Ohm DC and low inductance is less effected then say a DENON DL103 with 40 Ohms.
Actually if you have the gutts you can measure your cartridge ( including cable ) for DC impedance and inductance and put that in the simulator together with your load resistor and cap. I did that several times with even very expensive carts and they sounded unchanged after. Some say that the magic is gone ones they measured. The small measurement current affecting the sound in a bad way. I NEVER did make that experience. OK, my meter is decent. Maybe a cheep meter puts in more current then good but modern metern measure with very low energy.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RC, I run a Benz LP and it used to cause my Naim Superline to motor boat quite agressively, the Naim circuit is prone to HF oscilliation anyway, 3.3n on the input cured this.

Remove the cart and short the cartridge tags, if it still happens it's not the cart, start looking elsewhere.

When using 3.3n at the input, did you notice any difference in freq response ?

How high can I go with input capacitance without compromising high freq detail ?

BTW: Disconnecting the cart totally eliminates the issue.

Maybe 1uH mini inductor on the input semi(s) signal entry pin can help? :idea:

inductor-EC_64.jpg
my2Qujs1Ld6zcJ8I8FqiA8A.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its not so much about increasing the bulk inductance just anywhere in the loop.

The mini inductors go smack to the signal entry pins of the input stage semis like base/gate stoppers to fight HF interactions. Don't know if self made ones can do something analogous physically, maybe.

Then again you should also try the 3.3nF load that sq225917 advised it worked on that particular cart and his Naim pre as an alternative and see where the situation leads to.