My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Verify the voltage from your power supply and make sure it is DC not AC voltage.

That may be the problem. I am using a 12V AC adaptor that used to power my Wifi router. I guess I need to buy a DC adaptor? Or can I use 8 AA NiMh batteries?

Looks like I need to buy a new one anyways. I took this one apart thinking there was some problem in the gears. Now it seems impossible to put back together.

I seem to be getting mixed results from my $140 ultrasonic cleaner . I know it works because it cleans eye glasses and jewellery well. But some LP's have terrible crackle in the opening grooves that never goes away after 10 minutes of ultrasonic cleaning. How can I determine the cause of this crackle? The LP looks clean with no visible scratches. Is it dirt or worn out? Can I purchase some inexpensive microscope to see what is going on?

I am using tap water with some dish washing soap. Then I rinse them with distilled water in a spray bottle. Then I wipe them with a cloth rag and let dry on a dish rack.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:cop:

VibratoLLC. All your posts relating to sales of your product are now here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/303153-ultrasonic-record-cleaning.html

Please restrict all further posts regarding this product to this single Vendor thread.

Alternatively you may wish to purchase a paid for manufacturers section in the forum which would give you full control over the content.

If you wish the thread title to be changed then simply report post#1 and state what you wish the new header to be.

I seem to be getting mixed results from my $140 ultrasonic cleaner . I know it works because it cleans eye glasses and jewellery well. But some LP's have terrible crackle in the opening grooves that never goes away after 10 minutes of ultrasonic cleaning. How can I determine the cause of this crackle? The LP looks clean with no visible scratches. Is it dirt or worn out? Can I purchase some inexpensive microscope to see what is going on?

I am using tap water with some dish washing soap. Then I rinse them with distilled water in a spray bottle. Then I wipe them with a cloth rag and let dry on a dish rack.

Ultrasonic cleaning can't fix a damaged record. There are also lots of noisy pressings out there that had surface noise from the get-go.

It is also possible your $140 machine is not cleaning down in the grooves. Eyeglasses and jewelry don't have micro-grooves as small as the working surface of an LP, and glasses/jewelry are therefore easier for low frequency ultrasonic cleaners to clean.

Finally, I would suggest you don't "wipe them with a cloth rag". You aren't helping matters and can easily create noisy LPs this way.
Cheers,
B B

It is also possible your $140 machine is not cleaning down in the grooves. Eyeglasses and jewelry don't have micro-grooves as small as the working surface of an LP, and glasses/jewelry are therefore easier for low frequency ultrasonic cleaners to clean.

Finally, I would suggest you don't "wipe them with a cloth rag". You aren't helping matters and can easily create noisy LPs this way.
Cheers,
B B

Thanks for your insight. How can I ensure the cleaner is getting into the grooves? Do I need a better cleaning solution besides just tap water and dish soap? Perhaps doing only 1 record at a time helps? I have been doing 2 at a time. Unfortunately, purchasing a more expensive cleaner is not an option at this time :)

Should I just rinse with the distilled water spray and let air dry? Or is there some better cloth to use to remove the water?

Should I just rinse with the distilled water spray and let air dry? Or is there some better cloth to use to remove the water?

You might try Kim-Wipes just to dab off excess. They are used in medical/lab environments readily available on line. The amateur astronomy sites are good for ideas on how to clean surfaces and do no damage, it is recommended to let nothing dry before the DI water rinse.

BTW noise concentrated in the lead-in grooves has been discussed frequently here and there, it seems to be a common problem and the damage is thought to be permanent.

Last edited:
Hi 12/45
I like Scott's KimWipes suggestion --- love them for optics.

As for groove penetration, that is a function of cavitation bubble size and energy density/distribution in the bath. Those are a function of the true operating frequency of the ultrasonic cleaner and the overall design and quality of the machine. Higher frequency (60 or 80khz) makes smaller cavitation bubbles, which can get a little deeper into a record groove.

I'd ditch the dish soap if I were you. Along with fragrances and colors in many of them, they could have other ingredients that might not be desirable for the purpose at hand.

A little high purity Isopropyl Alcohol, (say 3-4% of the total volume), with your purified water is what I'd recommend for use in the ultrasonic tank. You could start experimenting with a couple of drops of detergent/surfactant if that isn't working well for you.
Cheers,
B B

I've just finished building my version of bbftx design and have been using it with a £90 40hz cleaner off EBay what I've found after cleaning a good few LP's is that the majority of times after cleaning a fairly noisy LP virtually all the noise disappears and some unlistenable LP's can be saved. But other records that look equally messed up have very little and I think you just have to put such damage down to groove damage and realise nothing will bring it back.

Thanks for your insight. How can I ensure the cleaner is getting into the grooves? Do I need a better cleaning solution besides just tap water and dish soap? Perhaps doing only 1 record at a time helps? I have been doing 2 at a time. Unfortunately, purchasing a more expensive cleaner is not an option at this time :)

There's no way to ensure that the machine is cleaning deep into the grooves, it's either capable or it's not. I have one of the cheap units from the big auction site and I find that it will remove most visible dirt on the surface, but is not capable of "deep cleaning" beyond that. It's really no better than a standard wash and vac with an rcm. And that's with doing 1 record at a time. Trying to clean multiples just makes it worse. I'm moving on to something better very soon.

There's no way to ensure that the machine is cleaning deep into the grooves, it's either capable or it's not. I have one of the cheap units from the big auction site and I find that it will remove most visible dirt on the surface, but is not capable of "deep cleaning" beyond that. It's really no better than a standard wash and vac with an rcm. And that's with doing 1 record at a time. Trying to clean multiples just makes it worse. I'm moving on to something better very soon.

That is a bit disappointing to hear. Had I known that I guess I would have just stuck to my sink method. I read all the hype about these ultrasonic cleaners and got so excited that it can clean into the groove.. Seems that is not the case.

Unfortunately my LP collection is not worth an investment in a $500+ machine.

Unfortunately my LP collection is not worth an investment in a $500+ machine.
Your collection may not be worth it now but if you continue collecting vinyl it will be worth it down the road.

I suggest keeping an eye on Ebay as decent used ultrasonic cleaners do pop up from time to time at reasonable prices (100$ - 300$). Gemoro, Sonix IV, and Elmasonic are one to consider. BB or others could probably recommend other proven brands.

Don't despair, patience!

Hi 12/45
I'd ditch the dish soap if I were you. Along with fragrances and colors in many of them, they could have other ingredients that might not be desirable for the purpose at hand.

A little high purity Isopropyl Alcohol, (say 3-4% of the total volume), with your purified water is what I'd recommend for use in the ultrasonic tank. You could start experimenting with a couple of drops of detergent/surfactant if that isn't working well for you.
Cheers,
B B

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that alcohol was a big no-no on vinyl? Something about it eating the vinyl? I can't recall which site I read that. But it seemed scary.

Instead of wiping with a cloth rag, should I just skip that step and let air dry after rinsing with distilled water? I am curious what are the concerns with the cloth rag? If any lint was left on it, it would get picked up by my carbon fiber brush before I play the record.

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that alcohol was a big no-no on vinyl? Something about it eating the vinyl? I can't recall which site I read that. But it seemed scary.

Instead of wiping with a cloth rag, should I just skip that step and let air dry after rinsing with distilled water? I am curious what are the concerns with the cloth rag? If any lint was left on it, it would get picked up by my carbon fiber brush before I play the record.

12/45: There are different types of alcohol. Some are fine, some are not. Some audio website contributors often confuse things and get it wrong. Isopropyl is fine, methyl alcohol is fine, ethanol is NOT fine on LPs. LPs are PVC. You can check compatibility of many different chemicals and PVC using chemical compatibility charts from reputable chemical companies on the web, like this one:

PVC Chemical Compatibility chart

Cross check with several of these to give yourself more confidence in what is good or not to put on your vinyl.

As for rags, they can have a variety of different fibers, some of which could possibly damage PVC surfaces when wiped over them. Contaminants can also get embedded in the fiber mesh, and these can also damage surfaces if wiped across. Hence, the advice to DAUB rather than wipe, and use something with safe, standardized fiber content, like the Kimwipes suggested several messages above. Personally, I went down the whole URC path to minimize the need to contact the LP surface with rags, wipes, brushes, etc.
Cheers,
B B

Personally, I went down the whole URC path to minimize the need to contact the LP surface with rags, wipes, brushes, etc.
Cheers,
B B

That's precisely why I have moved from my NG to a URC, B B ... but I am having difficulty with getting the LPs dry, after ultrasonic cleaning. :sad:

I didn't want to let them air dry for an hour or two in a dish-rack, so I laid out a fair bit of 'green' to buy a "Dryer Cube" from Ultrasonicrecords.com This is a cube (with a removable lid) with a powerful 12v fan on one side and a vent on the other. I rigged up a 1rpm motor to keep the 6 LPs on the spindle (taken straight from the Sonix IV tank and put into the Dryer Cube) turning, expecting 5 minutes in the Cube would be sufficient.

Indeed it is sufficient - in terms of getting them dry - but listening to the first batch I cleaned, I hear a noticeable level of HF hiss, during quiet passages. Exactly what I might expect to hear ... if I had sandblasted the LPs! :confused:

So I am wondering whether, since the bathroom I am using the Sonix & Dryer Cube in is not laboratory-standard dustless, I have in fact been 'sandblasting' the LPs during the drying process? :dunno:

Anyway, next batch I clamped a square of tea-towel over the fan, to provide a filter. This certainly cuts down the velocity of the air blowing over the LPs ... but even 20 minutes of this only dries them 98% - not 100%! :mad: (A couple of spots of moisture can be left.)

So that is not a very effective 'fix'! :-((

I really don't want to have to use my NG to vacuum each LP dry after US cleaning ... but I'm struggling to find an acceptable alternative method of drying them. Anyone put the spindle (with the LPs) in an electric drill chuck and spun them for a minute or so? :)

Andy

I didn't want to let them air dry for an hour or two in a dish-rack, so I laid out a fair bit of 'green' to buy a "Dryer Cube" from Ultrasonicrecords.com This is a cube (with a removable lid) with a powerful 12v fan on one side and a vent on the other. I rigged up a 1rpm motor to keep the 6 LPs on the spindle (taken straight from the Sonix IV tank and put into the Dryer Cube) turning, expecting 5 minutes in the Cube would be sufficient.

Indeed it is sufficient - in terms of getting them dry - but listening to the first batch I cleaned, I hear a noticeable level of HF hiss, during quiet passages. Exactly what I might expect to hear ... if I had sandblasted the LPs! :confused:

So I am wondering whether, since the bathroom I am using the Sonix & Dryer Cube in is not laboratory-standard dustless, I have in fact been 'sandblasting' the LPs during the drying process? :dunno:
Andy

I suspect that drying them in that cube is reintoducing static not unlike clothes in clothes dryer. If you can get your hands on a Zero stat gun try that and see if the noise still persists. I'm not a big fan of ultrasonicrecords.com and their krap. David has lifted ideas from this forum without giving credit.