my latest iteration of "Nanook's 219 tonearm".. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default my latest iteration of "Nanook's 219 tonearm"..

This one is perhaps the best implementation to date. Still using Easton arrow shafts, still using inexpensive wire, a great bearing. Thanks to Bernie, I've added a Yamamoto inspired headshell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sugden.jpg (143.0 KB, 4439 views)
File Type: jpg arm.jpg (92.3 KB, 4263 views)

Last edited by Nanook; 18th September 2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 20th September 2010, 04:35 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool.. Haven't been following the thread, what's the effective length? (12"?)
Very simple and elegant.
Old 20th September 2010, 04:46 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Note that i have parts for (i think) 5 of these that Stew shipped out for diyFEST. I'm sure he'd like to see them spread around. You pay postage.

dave
Old 21st September 2010, 12:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default spread around...

yup...I'd like for folks who would not normally try their hand at a DIY tonearm. Technically not difficult. Biggest hassle is getting a bearing into the arm tube. I've managed to record the Sugden/"219" tonearm playing together nicely..(video). Unsure of the best way to post it on the Internet.

The arm pictured is effective length:= 330 mm
The parts sent to Dave were for 300mm (12") ones.

These arms perform at a level that is not embarrassed being compared to an SME 309 (magnesium).
Old 21st September 2010, 04:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Nanook tonearm

Hi,
Nice work on the tt and arm. I have been playing around with arms and would be interested in a set of the parts. I want to make a 12" arm for my denon dp-72 that has been modded. I have a pioneer donor tt that I will use for the bearing. PM me Dave if there are any parts available. Thanks.
Old 21st September 2010, 06:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default biggest hassle...

is installing the female portion of the bearing in the arm tube itself. For the ones I sent to Dave at the Van Isle DIY audio 'fest, I installed the female portions into the arm tubes. The bearing pivot itself or the "high quality tungsten carbide ball bearing in a precision carrier" is a cheap pen refill with a metal tube. They should be opened up and the ink washed out with solvent. Then refill with a light machine oil if you like.

You can use anything for a carrier for the "bearing" housing. I've used collars with a set screw. ? You will need something for a counter-weight (I use salvaged ones from old FUGLY turntables, but collars could be used there as well), it should weigh between 75-95 grams (no more).

I am not sure if Bernie had enough Yamamoto-inspired headshells for all the parts. That is the 2nd hassle. Making or procuring the headshells. Bernie's headshells were quite good. If you use 2mm screws and nuts to hold the cartridge, there should be enough room to "twist" the cartridge in the head-shell.

One thing not fully explained is my choice for mounting the counter-weight. I used masking tape on the arm tube. Then I made a little knot, tying a small piece of steel wire , and then running the wire through a washer and the counter-weight. Then I knotted it as close as possible to the arm tube. Because the wire doesn't slip on the masking tape, merely rotating the counterweight "knot" on the arm adjusts azimuth. Stupid simple

Hope that helps.

Dave, please direct any asking about the actual instrux to put the arm together to this thread. I still don't know why the slideshow didn't make it intact to you.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Dave, please direct any asking about the actual instrux to put the arm together to this thread. I still don't know why the slideshow didn't make it intact to you.
The "kits" i have, have a wooden base matching the headshell. All one needs to do is rig up a counterweight.

I have most of the slideshow... it is just missing a couple pictures. It should thou, be made into a pdf, not everyone has PowerPoint or Keynote, and i am running into a lot of people with issues of PP (older) crashing in the lastest OS.

Don't know what the cork is for.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tonearms.jpg (50.4 KB, 3927 views)
Old 21st September 2010, 07:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Note that i have parts for (i think) 5 of these that Stew shipped out for diyFEST. I'm sure he'd like to see them spread around. You pay postage.
I'll take you up on that. Just in time too, I was probably gonna attach the arm I had soon. Look familiar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TonyTTprogress.jpg (35.2 KB, 3623 views)
Old 21st September 2010, 07:59 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

BD-1 + Pioneer PL-514.

A budget giant killer. And you don't need to remove that arm to add a Nanook 129.

Mail me your address, i'll figure post... probably about $10-12.

dave

PS: Brenton (in NW Calgary) is ready to have visitors to come over and listen to his Saburo sporting FE126eN, you & Stew were on my quick & nasty list of those who might be interested. (althou stew, now that he has a job, can afford to travel, but hasn't the time )
Old 21st September 2010, 08:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
PS: Brenton (in NW Calgary) is ready to have visitors to come over and listen to his Saburo sporting FE126eN, you & Stew were on my quick & nasty list of those who might be interested. (althou stew, now that he has a job, can afford to travel, but hasn't the time )
That's pretty cool. I'll bring the DBR TB's, should inspire his confidence when the Saburo beats them Is Brenton "metalman", he's in my neighbourhood.

Hide this!Advertise here!