MPP

I have the solution ! I was thinking wrong. The iductor makes the response falling AD INFINITUM until it flattens out to 1x at ultrasonic frequencies. So the cap in the MPP let the resonse fall even more instead of providing the 318usec and 75usec shelve. I can only explain that by too much Bodeaux Superieur this time. I thought i am imune to it.
So here comes a circuit that works. See the simulation. Quite interesting phase response.
I do the 318usec - 75 usec shelve passive now between the Opamps. The advantages are:
Constant feedback in the output amp, no capacitor in the feedback, smaler value of the EQ cap (10nF instead of 0.1uF) so it could be of better quality.
The only thing i loose is the scratch filter action of the 2.2usec amp and i can not fake the Neumann constant any more. I do not have all the parts to build it but i will buy some next week. i am looking forward to how it will sound.
Anyway it was not a totall loss of time. I found i could reduce the DC offset even more by wrapping the Servo around both Opams and the dark sound was quite fasinating but i could not stand it longer then one minute.

Attachments

• MPP Inductive EQ + Shelving Filter.TSC - TINA.pdf
    79.7 KB · Views: 169
  • MPP Inductive RIAA 318usec-75usec shelve.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 161
Neumann Pole

If you whant to ad the Neumann pole according to Allen Wright. no problem !
Add a 68 Ohm resistor in series with the 10nF cap. I have slightly other ideas and i am working on my own solution. In the meantime you can read this:Stereophile: Cut and Thrust: RIAA LP Equalization
Holger, it´s for you. My xmass present.

Attachments

• MPP Inductive EQ + Shelving Filter + 3.3usec.TSC - TINA.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 147
And now DRUMROLL come my atempt for compensatimg the Neumann cutter.
For you speedfreaks this and the High Z MPP will be my Masterpiece.
I am working on 2 versions. One is a cascade of 2 treble boosters and the other is a one stage inductive Q Booster. I will publish the design of the treble booster but will keep the circuit of the Q booster for myself now. Sorry, but it is too importand for me. I am planning to sell stuffed boards, so you can try it but it will cost a little.
First i will show the response of the Neumann head as far as i know it. You have to multiply all frequency grafs by 10.

Attachments

• Neumann Lathe.pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 219
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Many employ that pole. Never worked better for me. Neither in JFET nor in Valve. Got a bit bright. So I took it out. There was some Tag McLaren phono that had an in/out button for it, had it around once, easy A/B, same effect to my ears. I think that JC said something about it too? Anyway, maybe its my speakers. Works better 4U Joachim?

Now comes the treble booster then the Q booster and then the step response of the Q booster including the response of the cutter head.
The treble booster raises the -3dB point from 50kHz to 61kHz and the Q booster has the -3dB point at 65kHz. But look at 200kHz ! the response is down only -9dB and the step response is ideal. This give even SACD a break in the case of an ideal cartridge that of cause does not exist but i see no fundamental problem to compensate the cartridge too !

Attachments

• Neumann Lathe + 2nd order treble boost.pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Lathe + Q Booster FRD.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Lathe + Q Booster Step.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 116
20 years ago i worked a lot with Mr.Manger the inventor of the bending wave driver and i still have a friendship with his doughter Daniala. He really alerted me to time domain behaviour and it´s importance for 3 dimensional imaging. It´s a long story. I think Mr. Manger had at one time also contact to John Curl. Mr. Manger is in retirement now but he is still workig on a microphone and a book about nature.

it´s some very special speaker i designed but never produced. it had a slot for an optical disk so player and amp are on board. i did a series of photos with the inbuild web camera on my macbook
and modified that photos in iphoto. I studied furniture design and art exibition so ones art was my bussyness. i even had a galerie for modern art for some years.
yes, shure, it´s a warhol.

20 years ago i worked a lot with Mr.Manger the inventor of the bending wave driver

Aaaahh - I remember some Audio Physic speakers that had 3 Manger transducers. These where actually my "dream speakers" at the time, and that was just by reading the reviews. Not having the budget I did not venture to get to listen to them, if that had been possible at all. I think they must have been quite rare. I just wonder how good they were on an absolute scale.

the first 20 pairs or so where build by myself from something that whould translate into "Tank Wood" (Panzerholz). If you can hear one of thoose pairs you could recognise an amasing soundstage. One reviewer (Wendemuth) talked about "magic". I still have one pair pristinely preserved that you could listen to if you like. It is in Dortmund at a friend that actually build a special listening room for it. I neaded several days for the damping alsone. I build an acoustic swamp from 4 different materials beause the Manger Transduces is acoustically very opaque and does not like reflected preasure on the back. I had studied the Manger Transducer for 15 years until i build the Medea how it was called. Absulutely the most complicated box i ever build.

The Medea is from 1991 so i was the first that used that name. I like the stuff that Weiss makes, met him on shows as a pleasant guy and i am not associated to Audio Physic any more, so he can use that name if he likes.
I was always fascinated by ancient Greek culture and i am happy to have a friend there that fills in on my weakness: power supply. I am also weak on power amps but i am learning. in electronics i am more a low level precision guy.