Mpp - Page 445 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2012, 03:46 PM   #4441
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
silicon carbide bridges
Where do you buy the Ixys bridges? Mouser say they are end of life and I could not find any other source yet. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:09 PM   #4442
diyAudio Member

Hey Frans, don't you think you tortured us enough? Pull your helmet off!
Old 16th January 2012, 04:10 PM   #4443
diyAudio Member

I bought them here :http://percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf
Old 16th January 2012, 04:31 PM   #4444
diyAudio Member

Here is the pre regulator. You can also see the waveform before and after the common mode coils.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:34 PM   #4445
diyAudio Member

Before the common mode coils is the picture on the right.
Old 16th January 2012, 05:27 PM   #4446
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Area 51 continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onvinyl View Post
Hey Frans, don't you think you tortured us enough? Pull your helmet off!
Not yet, the problem that I have is; none of the questions that I have has been answered. These questions are:

What is the purpose of the alternative circuits, like stepped rectifiers and charge transfer and are those questions addressed by the 'Area 51' component.

As I see it, the main problem of rectification, in the standard circuit, are:

1: High current peaks.
2: Short charge times (of the buffer caps).
3: High frequency components due to rectifier switching behavior.
4: High ripple voltages (on the buffer caps).

The graphs show that all these points are (I think) addressed by the ĎArea 51í circuit, the (my) question would be, if you look at the graphs, as shown in Mpp, and the additional information in Mpp then would you conclude that these points are addressed or not and what other points should be addressed?

Where the standard circuit produces current peaks of up to 12A the 'Area 51' circuit produces only 2A, this for sure (I think) will limit rectifier noise. And the fact that the charging time of the buffer caps increases from short pulses to about 70 percent of the cycle time lowers the ripple on the buffer caps by 50 percent (as the graphs show).

I would have liked to see some views on these points, so for now I repeat the questions and hope to see some views (not on what it is and how it works, these are not relevant in light of the noise (and other artifacts) created).

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. The ĎArea 51í component will be shown in full glory (letís say by Wednesday) until then, give me some insights, learn me a thing or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NonPulsePwr.JPG (255.7 KB, 158 views)
Old 16th January 2012, 05:44 PM   #4447
diyAudio Member

Frans, whenever i use your MPP links i land at the top of this page so something is wrong.
To answer your questions : Yes i think the Area 51 circuit has an advantage. I doubt though that this will crossover to the Pardise circuit because your PSU is so good in total performance. Sure, EVERYTHING you do makes a difference. Put your Moms best grounded glasses on top of your speakers and you hear it, put a 50cent piece on your front wall with blue tack and you hear it, and so it goes......
Me, a glas or two of Bordeaux wine do just fine.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:06 PM   #4448
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Frans, whenever i use your MPP links i land at the top of this page so something is wrong.
To answer your questions : Yes i think the Area 51 circuit has an advantage. I doubt though that this will crossover to the Pardise circuit because your PSU is so good in total performance. Sure, EVERYTHING you do makes a difference. Put your Moms best grounded glasses on top of your speakers and you hear it, put a 50cent piece on your front wall with blue tack and you hear it, and so it goes......
Me, a glas or two of Bordeaux wine do just fine.
I totally agree (including on the Bordeaux) as I did say before 'I am a (high end voodoo) skeptic'. The massages about 'stepped rectifiers' and 'charge transfer power supplies' made me wonder and made me create the 'Area 51' component (I cannot help that)

The power supply as designed should be more than proficient en does not need change (in my opinion). I was just trying to find out ...

This was not directed at you, but at the people talking about these ‘experimental’ power supply enhancements. They made (in a way) that I created the ‘Area 51’ component

Any way the circuit will be posted soon.

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. the links should go (as they do from my place) to message 4413 and 4449 here in Mpp.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:21 PM   #4449
diyAudio Member

I understand.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:51 PM   #4450
diyAudio Member

Here is my motor noise snubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor noise snubber.jpg (103.7 KB, 155 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!