Mpp - Page 285 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2011, 02:21 PM   #2841
diyAudio Member

Yes, there is the ZL range and a new one that is even lower in ESR. As far as i know Rubicon produced the Black Gates so they may still have some know how.
Old 9th October 2011, 03:37 PM   #2842
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

ZA are much better than ZL. Outstanding trebble reproduction. But they tend to present thin bass in some aplications.

ZA are quite good for Digital aplications.

I also had good results bypassing Pana FM with smaller valued ZAs in the PSU.
Old 9th October 2011, 05:14 PM   #2843
diyAudio Member

The data sheet quotes "Previous Series" for ZA so they may not be produced any more.
Old 9th October 2011, 05:40 PM   #2844
MiiB is online now MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I use the ZL unbypassed for PSU applications....once run in they sound terrific.. and very very organic. Hav also tried to bypass with PP's but results very not an improvement...I rate the ZL higher than the BG's at least for this specific application
Old 9th October 2011, 05:47 PM   #2845
diyAudio Member

I use them too sometimes. They have such a low ESR that bypassing with film results sometimes in a higher value at 100kHz. Have you ever discharged them by accident ?
Taking about fire crackers.
Old 12th October 2011, 03:37 AM   #2846
diyAudio Member

The first product of my new company Suesskind is ready now. It is the Rauschfrei Balanced Phono Stage. The concept is based on the FPS i designed for Jan Diddens Linear 0 publication with a lot of refinements and some additions. I have now included an unbalanced input and output. All combinations work. So you can run unbalanced in - unbalanced out, balanced in - unbalanced out, unbalanced in - balanced out and balanced in - balanced out. The standard version is High Z with adjustable loading from nearly infinite to whatever low value you like. This is done by inserting Neutrik XLRs in the back because many people think that DIP switches do not sound good enough. We build a somewhat more elaborate Low Z version that has a trans impedance input with 2.5 Ohm input impedance. That can be used balanced and unbalanced too like the High Z version. The circuitry is fully balanced from input to output so there are actually 4 RIAA circuits, two positive and two negative. That gives the ultimate in common mode rejection and distortion cancelation. Components in the chain are selected to 0.1 % relative, even the caps that we buy preselected for 1%. That is important in a fully balanced design to maintain high common mode rejection up to high frequencies and avoid phase and frequency cancelation in the RIAA. There is no hum whatsoever and wide band noise unweighted is -77dB against 0.5mV input. The stage can swing 20V clean at the output so dynamic range is huge. I think this design could also be used by professionals that do vinyl transfer to hard disc.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:12 AM   #2847
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Congratulations..... and every success Joachim.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:02 AM   #2848
MiiB is online now MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What is the LA-Audio....piece I spot..???
Old 12th October 2011, 11:25 AM   #2849
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Nice proto.

If I understand well, cart loading is via neutrik plugs with resistors inside correct ?

PS: Is that an Italian made case ?
Old 12th October 2011, 11:31 AM   #2850
diyAudio Member

That was an LA Audio Pre-Pre with tubes. I think is was 4 ECC88 tube sections in parallel.
I never could make it work without a lot of microphonics so it was rebuild by Jrgen Ultee.
It is now a Fet-Tube hybrid cascode like the Arthur Loesch circuit. It sounds nice and cozy but can not compete in transparency and dynamics with something like the Suesskind. I keep it though as a benchmark.
Thanks, Brian.

Hide this!Advertise here!