MPP

'Area 51' the ATL research results

Dear All,

Our ‘Alien Technology Lab’, short ATL has been working on variations of the ‘Area 51’ component. The result of the ATL work is attached to this message. Early ATL results show that the performance of the standard circuit can be improved by up to 50 dB (in the early ATL prototypes).

This ATL technology is freely available to anyone mad (or brave) enough to try it, use the attached files with care. When using any of these ATL findings please add an acknowledgement to ‘Area 51’-component and ATL to your project.

No further work/development will be done (on this subject) by the ATL department.

Questions will be answered in this forum.

Regards,
Acting for ATL,
Frans

Attachments

• Area 51 - Non Puls Power Supply V2.asc.txt
    37.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Area 51 - Non Puls Power Supply V2.PNG
    Area 51 - Non Puls Power Supply V2.PNG
    126.4 KB · Views: 338
What is that ? A diode multiplier ?
I sometimes use diodes with cap multipliers. But then is a cap parallel to the zener.

Sort of, no cap there, because the zener is a very low impedance device placing a cap parallel to it is not very effective. The cap could suppress some zener noise but that is not important in the 'Area 51' component (research result provided by the ATL lab).

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello Frans
Why is 50% optimal ?

"The amount of time that current can flow into the buffer capacitor depends on the difference of specified voltage between the transformer and the device, when a transformer of 25V pp is selected for the 15V ‘Area 51’ component it will transfer current for about 50% of the cycle (50% is optimal)."

Does it only control the time the current flows or does it also limit the current intensity ?

Hello Frans
Why is 50% optimal ?

"The amount of time that current can flow into the buffer capacitor depends on the difference of specified voltage between the transformer and the device, when a transformer of 25V pp is selected for the 15V ‘Area 51’ component it will transfer current for about 50% of the cycle (50% is optimal)."

Does it only control the time the current flows or does it also limit the current intensity ?

This makes the charging time and dis-charging time on the buffer cap equal and that again makes for a nice symmetric triangular voltage on the cap. For triangular waveforms the symmetric one has the lowest amount of harmonics possible (for a triangular wave form).

The current that flows is also limited, when (about) 600mV is generated over the series resistor R(I*) the diodes (parallel to Vbe and R(I*)) or the transistor (parallel to the same) will start conducting, this removes Ibe from the series device, and that will lower/control Ice of the series device. And thus current flow is controlled. Much like you would create a constant current source :)

Last edited:
Dear All,

Today is the day, now is the time :)

First let’s see the specifications of the ‘Area 51’ component.

Input voltage 0…N Volt
Output voltage 0…15V (depends on device type, this one is a 15V device)
Output current 0…3A (depends on device type, this is a 3A device)

The device is connected between the rectifiers and the buffer capacitors.

Regards,
Frans.

It is second time I was thinking of the right answer posted just later by someone else in this thread - I was not saying a word only just because of lack of technical background to describe how it works(above Area51 first occurence, only without the small singal diodes referenced from gate to output resistor - what is their function in the circuit Frans?) or by thinking 'nah it is to simple and stupid' to be accepted by others(opamp led supply proposed by Joachim). Lesson lernt - speak if you have idea, then in worst case others will laugh and you will still learn.

Thank Frans!

Edit 1: diodes question just answered while I was typing. Thank you Frans!

Last edited:
I measure a skewed triangular waveform after the Ixis bridges. I have published that before.
The symmetric triangular waveform is ( by coincidence ? ) also the theoretical best shape for dithering. This know how is really appreciated Frans. I did never think about the harmonic progression of different triangular waves. I know though that a square wave has only odd order harmonics and not what some think all kinds of harmonics.

I measure a skewed triangular waveform after the Ixis bridges. I have published that before.
The symmetric triangular waveform is ( by coincidence ? ) also the theoretical best shape for dithering. This know how is really appreciated Frans. I did never think about the harmonic progression of different triangular waves. I know though that a square wave has only odd order harmonics and not what some think all kinds of harmonics.

About waves, harmonics and energy (also important) http://www.rense.com/products/AboutFreque-08.pdf

This PDF is pretty damn cool. I could imagine a test for power amps where we fed in perfect waveforms and look if the output contains the mathematically expected power spectrum. We should set up a company right away and get into competition with AP. :)

You can connect a cookies oven to the output of your amplifier and make cookies, the time needed to finish the cookies in relation to the waveform used will relate to the quality of the amplifier. (this statement is approved by ATL)

Dear All,

Today is the day, now is the time :)

First let’s see the specifications of the ‘Area 51’ component.

Input voltage 0…N Volt
Output voltage 0…15V (depends on device type, this one is a 15V device)
Output current 0…3A (depends on device type, this is a 3A device)

The device is connected between the rectifiers and the buffer capacitors.

Regards,
Frans.

Frans,

could you please send me PM or (post it here) with the asc file of the original area 51 component? Is the d44/55H11 library any specific or I can download any available on internet?

Thank you in advance!
mad_z

edit: asc file: please do not, it was already posted. I need to wake up:)

Last edited:
Frans,

could you please send me PM or (post it here) with the asc file of the original area 51 component? Is the d44/55H11 library any specific or I can download any available on internet?

Thank you in advance!
mad_z

Replace it with a TIP31 and you will be fine. The .asc's can be fount attached to message 4560 and 4562 in this forum. I think that the D44/55H11 came with the yahoo group library.

Regards,
Frans