Mpp - Page 221 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2011, 08:02 PM   #2201
diyAudio Member

RCruz, here the NE workaround stage is on the first page.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Workaround NE5534 MM-MC Phonostage.TSC - TINA.pdf (54.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 1st May 2011, 08:04 PM   #2202
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

beautiful.... using those panasonic SMD caps "hand-wired" can't be easy, I guess...

BTW, in the finishing stages of building a Hi-Z-FPS with a couple Salas Shunts, very much looking forward to that!
Old 1st May 2011, 08:28 PM   #2203
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Do you have the latest circuit of the FPS ? I changed the servo. There was a liitle problem with drift that is solved now.
Old 1st May 2011, 08:36 PM   #2204
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

yes, its the latest version. I admit being lazy, and bought the kit from pilgham audio. everything fine except a little mistake in the BOM (R24 and R25 appear twice, but with different values) and to my taste the jumpers JP1 and JP2 are very close to the JFET pins, making for difficult soldering....
but it all worked out, the boards are sitting on my desk waiting for the case... will post some pictures once finished.
Old 1st May 2011, 08:40 PM   #2205
diyAudio Member

Ward has very good prices and good quality so this was a good choice. Can not wait to hear how it sounds to you. Talk to Ward if you have any sugestions of improvements.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:42 PM   #2206
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Thank you Joachim.

It looks like a straitforward build... I might have a go at it...just for fun and learning purposes. Can you post the parts values ?
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:28 AM   #2207
diyAudio Member

RCruz, i will be working on the NE5534 stage later this week.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:33 AM   #2208
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Ok... thank you.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:02 PM   #2209
mzperx is offline mzperx  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default MPP Measurements

Joachim, did you perform a measurements on balances MPP phono?
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:09 AM   #2210
diyAudio Member

I made a fully balanced phonoamp. It is the FPS that i described in Linear Audio Volume 0.
I whould call that the balanced MPP because up to that time it summed up my work on balanced phonos. It does not only have a balanced input but is balanced all the way to the ouput including the RIAA. I will look up my files if i can find the data. As far as i can remember the S/N is -77dB flat to 20kHz. RIAA is correct to more then 200kHz and distortion is extremely low. A single ended phono with the same amount of input devices whould have a somewhat better S/N of -80dB but more distortion and less imunity to common mode noise. In praxis the S/N advantage is less because the cartridge itselve produces Johnson noise. In case of my Lyra Titan i with ca.6 Ohm impedance the advantage is less then 2dB. To put that in perspective a phonostage based on the AD797 for example with a noise voltage of 1nV/qHz is 6dB noisier then the FPS and it is not balanced. Stages with the AD797 are described in the press as ultra low noise so now you know what i am talking about. The NE5534 workaround stage build with BF862 at the input would have around 1nV/qHz too but has the advantage that you can use it with MC and MM. Voltage Noise in that stage can be lowert too by paralleling more Fets. In the latest Accuphase stage i have seen as much as 16 in parallel. At ca. 0.3nV there is a natural boundary and more paralleling is not productive any more. The reasons why are described by Ovidiu Popa in Linear Audio Volume 1 at least for one popular topology.

Hide this!Advertise here!