MPP

That´s what i thought. You already have a PSU that works.
"Ges" is part of "Gesamt" and that means : all things in total. Gesamtkunstwerk is an old (german?) artistic concept. For example you build a house and also design all the furniture and the paintings on the wall are also made by you. One example could also be the cathedral in Cologne.
Gaudi did thinks like that in spain or McIntosh in scotland. I am not intimate familiar with the portuguese art scene
though.

Today the last exotic parts arrived so i was able to finish the main boards of the Opus Magnum. It is also a bipolar design with current mirrors though very different from the Paradise. We are in good neighborhood though.

Attachments

• Opus Magnum Main Board.jpg
    Opus Magnum Main Board.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 386
The BC327/337 and the ultra low noise Sanyos have arrived. I measured Hfe in some random chosen BC´s and it is around 300 in the NPNs and 500 in the PNPs. This is a rare case that the PNPs are stronger. When i look at the printing they are from the same manufacturer.

Attachments

• BC327-337.jpg
    BC327-337.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 347
  • Sanyo Ultra low Noise.jpg
    Sanyo Ultra low Noise.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 327
Joined 2006
Paid Member
That´s what i thought. You already have a PSU that works.
"Ges" is part of "Gesamt" and that means : all things in total. Gesamtkunstwerk is an old (german?) artistic concept. For example you build a house and also design all the furniture and the paintings on the wall are also made by you. One example could also be the cathedral in Cologne.
Gaudi did thinks like that in spain or McIntosh in scotland. I am not intimate familiar with the portuguese art scene
though.

Now I understand. I know Gaudi´s work and also other artists that extend their work to the complete build so we can taste a "familiar" and more or less homogeneous environment. I do not know any Portuguese artist that produced in such a way. The most proeminent PT artists are writers.
The great constructions in existance where built during the monarchic era when pt sailors found new territories and brought back all kinds of goods.
They also brought new ideas and workers from all over the world so these grand buildings have a mixture of trends.

IMO in any electronic circuit, the PSU is quite important. Not only does it matter in low PSRR analog circuits but also in more complex structures like those using opamps, dac´s, decoders etc.

Just for learning purposes, I want to experiment the very complex Paradise with different PSU´s and verify if there are any differences.

I am not trying to mystify or in any way modify the original design and in the end I believe I will keep the dedicated PSU designed here, but I want to know how my last hot rod shunt PSU behaves.

I am still working in my layout but as I only have small veroboards and due to the extreme complexity of the design I guess I will not be able to do it p2p before the boards are ready... :smash::smash::smash:

Attachments

• EXPPCB Paradise.jpg
    EXPPCB Paradise.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Yes, Holger, when i can i buy from Reichelt. They have a good selection of japanese transistors. No luck with recent 2SJ74 though. They where all GR grade. Useful for constant current sources.
The other vendors i buy from are Schuro, Digikey ( best with Panasonic and american Opamps ), Mouser ( good selection of Mil.Spec. resistors ), Distrelec ( Rifa-Evox PPS ) and Bürklin ( Frolyth caps ).
Yes, Ricardo, i would wait for the boards. Even i have no desire to build it p2p.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I am still working in my layout but as I only have small veroboards and due to the extreme complexity of the design I guess I will not be able to do it p2p before the boards are ready... :smash::smash::smash:

Hi Ricardo,
thanks for posting your layout, looks good and inspiring! on perfboards you do have some degrees of freedom that dont exist on pcbs, especially for ground and power routing. in fact, I am looking into the ground routing right now, goal is to have a star ground at the input, to not ¨contaminate¨the ground returns from the caps and the RIAA network so those will have separate return paths. if i find the space i will put add`l connectors for external power supplies, but don`t bet on it. also, with these current mirrors the impact of different power supplies should be far less than in single-ended topologies for example....

merry christmas to you all, this has been a fascinating and exciting thread! thanks especially to joachim for all the inspiration and insight!