New Oracle Delphi owner questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up an Oracle Delphi Mk III from audiogon. I now have the makings of a particularly Canadian system (Oracle, homemade pre, Assemblage ST40, and Rega/Camber speakers). Makes we want to go to Timmies and get a double double. I've got a few questions:

1. What bearing oil to use? I have 2cc in a syringe that the PO had sent. it looks just like 20/50 motor oil.
2. The acrylic armboard and mounting bolts do not visually inspire confidence. Anyone modified this? Perhaps machining one out of aluminium?
3. Any particularly good polishing compound to make the plinth and suspension parts sparkle?

Attachments

• or.jpg
    or.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 525
1) Here in Montreal, a small company is making a spray lubricant called Jig A Loo using a secret formula. put a faire amount into the bearing with a noticeable improvement... Also using very thin oil sold to lubricate the bearings of in-line skates.

2) Oracle sells directly a new aluminum arm board - the sound is much improved with it.

I did a number of things to the Oracle turntable.

One of the most effective mod is adding diving weights to the chassis. 2x 3 pounds to the left and 1 X 5 pound to the right.
For that Oracle sent me their strongest springs - I believe 2 blue and one black... This mod adds a lot more bass and other benefits I cannot remember.

Another effective and inexpensive mod is adding a marble or granite piece under the original base. This made a HUGE difference. Mind you, I have an aluminum custom made base, then a piece of MDF and then the granite.

Changing the 3 aluminum post to Oracle delrin towers also made a big difference.

The new Oracle platter matt is absolutely phenomenal in the sound improovement department...

Attachments

• oracle small photo.jpg
    oracle small photo.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 346
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.