Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi again Salas

Another question for you while I'm in 'The Zone'.

I always think asking a Clash fan what their desert island Clash LP would be is a hard question, for me it's easy, 'Sandinista'.

Simplistic Vs. Valve Itch that is the question.

Just a quick look at the stats. on the site, shows the way people have gone on this.
Sometimes I think people are slightly put-off making valve stuff generaly, and particularly phono stages, perhaps thinking they might be noisey or something.
This is obviously not the case, as you have reported 'tomb like silence' for both.

Anyhow to the point.

As creator of the Simplistic and the Valve Itch.
Which would you take to a desert island and why ?

Cheers

Simon

The answer is if London Calling was your desert island LP, then it would have to be the Simplistic playing it. Since its Sandinista! for you, then make the Itch.

Hi Salas

Thanks for correcting my typo.
Yes Sandinista does have a ! after it doesn't it ? (LP not to hand at present).
No pun intended by the way on desert island & SANDinista (!).

It wasn't a trick question either about needing batterys.
There is a huge nuclear power station on the far side of the island over the hill you haven't seen yet (just need some hook-up wire to get free juice.

Interesting answer to the question, is it dependant or related to music preferance ? Hadn't thought about it like that previously, Mmmm..?

If they both amplify TT's and sound like 'tombs', what the hells the difference though ?

You're not thinking of standing for the Greek parliment are you Salas, cos you didn't answer the question.
Which would you have on your nuclear powered desert island ?

Simon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its essentially flat there with 33nF or 47nF too and you cut more around disc warp. Just test your 47n. You will find even 22n FT-1 very much passable with your now output caps and preamp load I believe with the real bass that is actually to be found in most records.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Thanks for correcting my typo.
Yes Sandinista does have a ! after it doesn't it ? (LP not to hand at present).
No pun intended by the way on desert island & SANDinista (!).

It wasn't a trick question either about needing batterys.
There is a huge nuclear power station on the far side of the island over the hill you haven't seen yet (just need some hook-up wire to get free juice.

Interesting answer to the question, is it dependant or related to music preferance ? Hadn't thought about it like that previously, Mmmm..?

If they both amplify TT's and sound like 'tombs', what the hells the difference though ?

You're not thinking of standing for the Greek parliment are you Salas, cos you didn't answer the question.
Which would you have on your nuclear powered desert island ?

Simon

Yes there is an (!). Music has to do with what you would prefer by all means. One is more detail and bass dynamics, the other is silkier. Jazzier stuff would allure you more through the valves. On my nuclear powered desert island I would not have a phono, but a Geiger and a an escape craft. Parliament, no thanks, they throw dairy products at its members here these days just on public appearance.:D

Attachments

• album-sandinista.jpg
    album-sandinista.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 271
Yes there is an (!). Music has to do with what you would prefer by all means. One is more detail and bass dynamics, the other is silkier. Jazzier stuff would allure you more through the valves. On my nuclear powered desert island I would not have a phono, but a Geiger and a an escape craft. Parliament, no thanks, they throw dairy products at its members here these days just on public appearance.:D

Hi Salas

Thanks for the picture, I guess The Clash was spelt, *THe CLASH* in that era also.
And also - SAnDInISTA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoopse !

Yeah I def. see that.
My LP collection also contains everything by Kraftwerk, loads of punk & post-punk also lots of 2nd hand 60s' 70s', and a stack of dance 12's.

Mmmm..?

I figure you always had me down for an 'Itch' customer anyway.
Maybe I should switch to the Itch now.
I see some poor soul has just started a build.
If they don't zap 'em selves on the 300 HT it might just work out good for them (!).

I spose there aren't too many vegan members of the Greek parliament with all those dairy products flying around.
Not a great job anyway I guess, listening to bull all day instead of cool toonz seems like not a result to me.

My first electronics job was making Geigers believe it or not, we also made a number of different HV sabilizer valves, like 40 Kv and stuff, nice jolt off one of those one day (current limited thankfully).
Used to get the odd dead rodent in the test gear, which was a bit smelly after a bit (!).
The 'Itch' would have to be rodent proof, and Deathproof.

Cheers

Simon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I figure you always had me down for an 'Itch' customer anyway.
Maybe I should switch to the Itch now.
I see some poor soul has just started a build.
If they don't zap 'em selves on the 300 HT it might just work out good for them (!).

Cheers

Simon

Its costlier and takes a valves head guy, but not calling it a tube itch but valve itch, signals it had to be for the English taking a go first, doesn't it?

...but not calling it a tube itch but valve itch, signals it had to be for the English taking a go first, doesn't it?

Or the Aussies.... I call 'em valves and guess what, I'm collecting Itchy parts now. This will be my first valve project from scratch.

My first taste test was an Oatley Electronics sub-mini kit K282 (now obsolete and superseded by the linked kit), but it works more effectively as a discordant church bell tone generator than an RIAA Pre. It uses Raytheon JAN6418 (in triode mode I believe) and I can't get them to stop ringing. I'll persist... but for now it's on to the Itch.

Its costlier and takes a valves head guy, but not calling it a tube itch but valve itch, signals it had to be for the English taking a go first, doesn't it?

Yeah...Valves is def. English term, not toobz.
We always called our in-house stuff toobz however (cos they were (looked like) tubes I guess).

Just found CD copy of SAnDInISTA! by *THe CLASH*, TT still wrecked, spinning it on DIG, LOUD (!), nniiccee album.

Salas MP, 'minister of sound quality' in a recent public statement said "Yes indeed SAnDInISTA ! does have a ! in it's title".
He would however still not reveal his personal desert island preamp (!).

Cheers

Simon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Or the Aussies.... I call 'em valves and guess what, I'm collecting Itchy parts now. This will be my first valve project from scratch.

My first taste test was an Oatley Electronics sub-mini kit K282 (now obsolete and superseded by the linked kit), but it works more effectively as a discordant church bell tone generator than an RIAA Pre. It uses Raytheon JAN6418 (in triode mode I believe) and I can't get them to stop ringing. I'll persist... but for now it's on to the Itch.

Still a Union Jack sits left to the Crux, thus eligible. Good luck. :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yeah...Valves is def. English term, not toobz.
We always called our in-house stuff toobz however (cos they were (looked like) tubes I guess).

Just found CD copy of SAnDInISTA! by *THe CLASH*, TT still wrecked, spinning it on DIG, LOUD (!), nniiccee album.

Salas MP, 'minister of sound quality' in a recent public statement said "Yes indeed SAnDInISTA ! does have a ! in it's title".
He would however still not reveal his personal desert island preamp (!).

Cheers

Simon

Ministers have their hidden agendas. Paparazzi proof for that matter.:D

Attachments

• uk-ministry.jpg
    uk-ministry.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 266

Hi taniknight

The Aussies are OK, I guess we just disagree on cricket. :p

I luv leftfield ringmodulators, valve (or toob) church bell generators are right in my wish list.:note:

Send me that circuit for my modular synth, good price paid for convincing bell tones !:eek:

Other than that, looks like I might see you 'Itching' for a valve pre.
Write me in your will, I'll do the same, if the 'Itch' isn't Deathproof we both stand to inherit a good LP collection.:D

Cheers

Simon

Write me in your will, I'll do the same, if the 'Itch' isn't Deathproof we both stand to inherit a good LP collection.:D

Nothing deathproof about my workshop, even if most of its contents is deadly by virtue of choking hazard only. I'm a mechanical-engineer:so-if-it-doesn't-move-and-I-can't-see-it-then-it-can't-hurt-me kinda guy....:nownow: or else :RIP:... hence there will be extra attention on the HV when it comes to that part.... and I'll limit myself to 1 beer a session... maybe. :drink:

I think we would appreciate each others vinyl... I too have all sorts of goodies, including many dance 12'ves from my years DJing :up:... before there were CDJ's to make it easier but sound crapper ... or computers to do it all for you and sound rubbish. :down: My last trip to the op-shop (cheap second-hand goods shop) bore Black Sabbath and the ballet Giselle, among others in between.

As an aside... these smilies are addictive.:wave2:

Ministers have their hidden agendas. Paparazzi proof for that matter.:D

Yes indeed (!)

I did a few years at The Ministry myself.

Best damn sound installation I've ever heard.

Highlight:- Tony Humphries reelin' NYC 1/4"s

That dudes wide enough to reach across 3 (!) TT's as well (!).

Now spinning Tony mixing Chubby Chunks 'Testament One' XXX toon

Don't think Tony used a valve pre, wonder how that Itches ?

Cheers

Simon

Nothing deathproof about my workshop, even if most of its contents is deadly by virtue of choking hazard only. I'm a mechanical-engineer:so-if-it-doesn't-move-and-I-can't-see-it-then-it-can't-hurt-me kinda guy....:nownow: or else :RIP:... hence there will be extra attention on the HV when it comes to that part.... and I'll limit myself to 1 beer a session... maybe. :drink:

I think we would appreciate each others vinyl... I too have all sorts of goodies, including many dance 12'ves from my years DJing :up:... before there were CDJ's to make it easier but sound crapper ... or computers to do it all for you and sound rubbish. :down: My last trip to the op-shop (cheap second-hand goods shop) bore Black Sabbath and the ballet Giselle, among others in between.

As an aside... these smilies are addictive.:wave2:

Yeah...wasted years recording with computers, now use bespoke HD recorder, much better.
Am also mechanical engineer as well as electrical.
Have you seen Don Garber's valve amp chassis design's ?
Having seen them, makes me wonder what could be next for me....

Simon

P.S. Here's a few smilies...:eek::vampire::devily::t_ache::p:rolleyes:;):confused::(:mad::):eek::D:eek:;):devily::t_ache::vampire::devily::t_ache:

I just bought a Tascam 58 8 track to experiment with... but that's certainly for another thread (sorry about all this nonsense Salas).

Google just taught me about Fi Audio... I guess you mean this one.

I'm working through some unusual chassis designs myself as this is probably what I'd be best at and also an area that I see is usually lacking in DIY builds. Cake tins are quaint and all, but if you are going to claim that something is as good as a $$$ unit, it should sorta look like it. Peter Daniels is on to it. Something that makes artistic sounds should look artistic to complete the picture.

Anyway, Salas, your Simplistic is great and I look forward to hearing the Itch. Maybe one day they will both make it into the kick-a$$ DJ console I'm working on (slowly).

Tani.