Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi Salas,

What I wanted to ask and all the time forgot to do is:

I know would it be possible to make your design suitable for different equalizationcurves. like for instance the zanden phonopre.

What I read about that in reviews got me really interrested.

I cannot design something like that otherwise I would have.
But you mostlikely can but are you willing to?

greetings roy

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those are historic curves, for pre riaa vinyl, mainly mono, 78rpm etc. They are made upon trial and error by using such collectibles, and there is trim slack, because they can be all over the place. I don't have even one such record, and I am not planning to cater for such curves. They would only introduce switching and augment the layout for no use. Now if I would sell chromium stuff with 3 Philips 6922s at $20k I would try to market some peculiarity too.

Back to your build...Your shunt reg sinks size will not be that efficient with 6R8 R1, use a 10R 1W instead.

roy algra said:
Looks nice jaap, did the pieces of aluminium came out of a plane?

greetings roy

Howdie Roy,

Almost. The apparatus was intentended for radio activity measurements and contained nice parts. Baco sells it.

Point of (positive) critisisme on your PCB. The routing is quite long so you end up with a nice antenna. Short masterclass

Beautiful shape you created with your horns. Wish I could convince my wife .... :cool:

The Simplistic has improved on the bass notes. It's not yet on par with my tubed PhonoDude as highs are not yet well developed but -hey- we're only some 20 hours further :D

Will investigate different loading points too. Thanks for the link Salas.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Disco:
For MM, you must know that the capacitive loading is the same in total between phonos before comparing. My Valve Itch is Mu follower like the Dude and has enough Miller where the Simplistic is cascode and has minimum of its own. I know they load differently. I also know that they give the same tonal balance with equal loads. The burn in will give enough material related relaxation but if you don't actually tune the MMs with a test record and FFT on the various circuits you have, you will never know for sure. Simplest way is to add 50-100pF and turn a 100k trimmer instead of Rload. Where you find balance by ear, measure and replace with closest fixed resistor of choice.

Roy:
On the subject of 881s (It used to be my first ''good'' cart back in the early 80's) better use the brush and add 1gram tracking force on top of what you use, it will be offset by the brush, and add a gram on the antiskating too. It actually stabilizes the tonearm dynamically on top of sucking dust eletrostatically and that is a good thing. That was its main function although Stanton did not want to reveal its tech back then and the press was backfiring with assumptions. Also its tip is a Japanese made nude Shibata and quite sensitive to VTA.

Hi Salas and Jaap,

Thanks for the input,

Yes I know about the long lines I thought about that to. I was thinking about putting the regulator on top ver close near the input but was afraid that that would interfere with the first stage.

Maybe a senseline from regulator to inputground?

My goal was to have as less as possible wire in the casing.

About your Wife I don't thing that will be any problem, a lot of women have seen my horns and really liked them like right now some of them even push me to paint them soon so that the can look at them again. The are only 1meter20 high.

Salas, I use it with a brush I liked the sound with it more and thanks to you I know why. Its a little bit like the Townshend rock principle.

When i finished te board I will do the trimmertuning. Its was my first decent cartridge to in the early 80's. It is a selected one from the stantonfactory. Ive used it a long time in an infinity blackwidow arm. But I broke the armtube severalyears ago by accident ofcourse when experiment with a cover for the TT.
But I really like it in the rega. I made an armboard on the micro from mdf. That will damp a bit to and tweaked the bearing.

Thanks guys, greetings roy

ps. I can post some nice wallpapers if anyone is interrested of my loudspeakers. I have a nice designs for a lineartracerarm too.

Ive loaded it at the moment with 100pf styroflex.

Sounds nice I've tried 270pf and nothing but at the moment I like 100pf.
By the way are you still using 100n Mundorf silveroil as coplingcap between stage one and two. Ive ordered them yesterday.

At the moent I use an 100nf wima mkp4 together with a little ero 10nf blue square cap. I could easily live with that to. for the 16nf I use a 15nf ero same as jaap together with 1nf silvermica.

My goal for the sound is that should sound sweet when the music is sweet but I like it to sound raw too.
I don't like a too polite sound. You know what I mean?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That sounds OK. Because you probably have 150pF tonearm to phono wire capacitance already. 250pF with the Styroflex. Some makers were quoting 200-500pF ballpark! Stanton was at least better targeting.;)

The Mundorf I used at the output. I have used Russian stacked Polystyrene green blocky ones, K72 Teflon and FT-3 Teflon for interstage.

The Mundorf is sparkling in the highs enough. For MC carts its a different mix. For MM, especially old ones with tired rubber its easy to have some hf sag and I would check visually with fft and test disc for loading before exchanging expensive parts. The trimmer will help to roughly know what happens with the parts mix or not.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not in general really. Because the Riaa filter has strong impact to the overloading margins and phase, dynamics. Just because our phono is open loop, hence not over reactive, I would go there if I was stack with a desperate case but would not be surprized if it sounded weird. Two wrongs don't make a right. Of course with cheapest riaa components and simulator.