Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
With this type of shunt using a led and resistor for ref filtered with a high value EL, you should have loads of bass.... my build confirms that.... it is outstanding in the lower registers... it goes down with lots of control.... double bass is quite impressive, and I built it without special care to output caps :) (No T€ME as usual :))

Have you got extra line gain? What is the system's gain structure? You could be missing the pre pre + MM total gain you had before or some grunge from the flicker noise previously. Could partially also be due to the Hovlands but not there to say for sure. But you should at least feel more information even if not tonally right yet. What C2Y you got? Trim it up if the tonality is light.

I am using a DCB1 Jfet buffer (Salas design again!), so no extra line gain.

Before my volume control was about the same setting for both my Logitech Transporter and vinyl. Now the vinyl needs about 25% more.

My amplifiers are made from Pete Millett driver boards with EL34's, these...

Push-pull KT88 class A amp with "universal" driver PCB

Input sensitivity is around 0.5v, (I am using a little bit of local anode to grid feedback around the output to driver stage).

I trimmed the C2Y for exactly 15.2nf C2, I used the 15nf Vishay plus the Wima cap and a 240pf SM.

The Hovlands will be replaced by Claritycap MR later this week. So I can report again when that's done.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The amps are sensitive enough to be driven with a buffer. OK its not bad having to turn the pot a quarter more, the hiss is keeping low on the other hand, when you got enough max level on tap still with given room and speakers (what is the sensitivity of the speakers?). 62dB is OK for 0.4mV cart. Pretty industry standard. Maybe you had about 70dB total before. I got very good bass too like Cruz says so its something tonal we should get around to fix in your system too. Try different loading also.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
If you lower R5 by paralleling another 1~2Mohm resistor over it with mini crocodiles You will notice a dramatic increase in bass. Please take this with a bit of salt, as we do not know de true value of R5 so it is a shot in the dark, but in the end you might hit the sweet spot

I recently used a Koetsu Black and did settle with 2300ohm for cart load.... much better bass and extended highs I got this way.

Feel free to experiment and be bold.

I have used the Koetsu Black Goldline into a Sowter 10:1 step up TX with my valve MM stage, which resulted in a higher loading, 470 ohms.

It sounded a little bit too overblown in the bass for me. Of course transformer loading of the cart sounds slightly different to resistive loading.

So you may have a good point about higher loading. I will give it a try.

I have been playing it some more this evening, and my initial impression about lack of bass is not quite as much as I first thought.

Salas, I did not hear yet anything better then your Phono.
I'm listening LPs right now after I'm done with the necessary re-biasing due to KM integration. For the rest of our forum, I integrated Keantoken K-Muli (about 2V drop) into Phono box last week.
Amazing!!!
No any and I meant any previously present in high volume hum/noise/buzz or soever. Absolutely quite. Details are came upfront. Very reach sound. Phoele Snow is a life again and singing just in-front of me. I'll show your guys my final report with pictures and "emotions" soon.

Here is my K-Multiplier pictures.
It is installed onto FSP box.
Quite crowd there, but I did not hear any interference.
As I mentioned, K-Multiplier cleaned all noise and it is very quite, clean and life-like sound now.

Attachments

• KM_in_FSP.jpg
    KM_in_FSP.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 311
  • KM_in_FSP_2.jpg
    KM_in_FSP_2.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Hi alexkosha, I agree that the Kmult gives good results placed just before the shunts. I am using those in my headphone amp before the BiBs.

Can you detail the component values you are using in your build ?

Hi RCruz,

I did not built that board.
Keantoken did for R&D purposes to set his K-Multiplier for 50V and above. I got PCB from Bill (HiFiNutNut) and Kean came up with his latest circuit now found on his site under "Other adaptions of the Kmultiplier": The K Multiplier
All components values are in attached schematics. I have placed 2 Positive K-Multy right prior Salas shunts in my FSP. Amazing results! K-Multys cleaned all my noises (mainly coming as V-ripples). Sound is crystal-clean with deep stage for all over audio frequency. I hear more details now and its life-like music.
I have one more unit made by same consent for up to 50V for positive and negative PSU. It based on Bill's example found here (post 569): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/177516-keantokens-cfp-cap-multiplier-57.html
I attached picture and schematic to my post too.
One more thing, we added Salas Raw PSU with Hagerman's calculated snubberring. Please see attached updated schema.

Attachments

• KM_45V.jpg
    KM_45V.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 359
  • KM_psu 1.jpg
    KM_psu 1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 351
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    624.4 KB · Views: 183
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    605.1 KB · Views: 307
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 309
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 348
  • RC - snubbers 2.jpg
    RC - snubbers 2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Much work. Nice it payed. We don't seem to get high enough particular noises with simpler arrangements regarding the builders average feedback here but you got extra 20dB line gain and maybe some EMI/RFI got in also? Who knows without pre-post bench analysis. The main circuit is really quiet when taken care to full isolation it proves anyway, and that is cool.

Much work. Nice it payed. We don't seem to get high enough particular noises with simpler arrangements regarding the builders average feedback here but you got extra 20dB line gain and maybe some EMI/RFI got in also? Who knows without pre-post bench analysis. The main circuit is really quiet when taken care to full isolation it proves anyway, and that is cool.

I completely agree with you.
My case is unique and my noise is 100% power creation and/or power delivery related. It might be my diodes, or filter, or umbilical cord, or Lumberg Power connector pickups. I also have terrible "octopus" of power and signal cables behind my audio deck. I experimented with Hammond 300mA 68R choke and noise reduced dramatically. Then, I understood that my noise is PSU-born or umbilical cord delivery related, not FSP. Choke was nice but I lost about 10V due to power drop. In addition, that choke is artillery size projectile and 2 kilo at least.. I have no space in my PSU to integrate it. This is why I dropped that filter into FSP box and all that noise is gone....:).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice arrangement Alex. Aesthetically pleasing. Arguably your FSP diy is the most handsome duet there. Enjoy your work. Happy listening for long long carefree time.

*(Much gear and a computer also on same power line etc. hmm probably more sensitive than average stereo installation indeed).

Nice arrangement Alex. Aesthetically pleasing. Arguably your FSP diy is the most handsome duet there. Enjoy your work. Happy listening for long long carefree time.

*(Much gear and a computer also on same power line etc. hmm probably more sensitive than average stereo installation indeed).

Thank you.
As you see, I'm missing my NAD M5 CD player...:(.
It is a sad story...!
I upgraded all ele-caps on analog PSU and I tried to integrate Hagerman's clock for 27MHz... Then and accidentally, I dropped 12v + or - wire (power for clock) on digital board surface and I damaged it. Noise (wind like noise, going up and down) started to appear. It is not serviceable since its made by tiny SMDs and it is obsolete (not available at any NAD warehouses anymore). So, very luckily, I found the last one exist in the world at some repair center in LA...:). I'll get my player back next week.