I need to repair an Oracle TT bearing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
240z4u is offline 240z4u  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 240z4u
Default I need to repair an Oracle TT bearing

This bearing uses two oillite or bronze bushings and a thrust plate. I need to replace the bronze bushings. The bottom one is worn.

Does anyone know who I could possibly have do this for me?

Thanks - Evan

This is for an oracle alexandria that I plan on stripping and mounting on a higher quality plinth. I have actually already made a "prototype" and have been using it. I can't go any further until this bearing issue is fixed though.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I need to repair an Oracle TT bearing

Quote:
Originally posted by 240z4u
This bearing uses two oillite or bronze bushings and a thrust plate. I need to replace the bronze bushings. The bottom one is worn.

Does anyone know who I could possibly have do this for me?

Thanks - Evan

This is for an oracle alexandria that I plan on stripping and mounting on a higher quality plinth. I have actually already made a "prototype" and have been using it. I can't go any further until this bearing issue is fixed though.

besides asking manufacturer for price,try nearest machine shop with good lathe ; can be much cheaper
Old 25th June 2007, 12:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I called oracle, they basically said "your crazy" and that was about it. I will never buy anything from oracle after that experience.

I will try looking locally, but was not sure if anyone else had this issue, or any suggestions on where to get it done.

Evan
Old 25th June 2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I called oracle, they basically said "your crazy" and that was about it. I will never buy anything from oracle after that experience.

I will try looking locally, but was not sure if anyone else had this issue, or any suggestions on where to get it done.

Evan

look at this this way :
that part is made on some lathe ;
why can't be made again on same tool ,even if locally ?

besides- mebbe you can have it for price of few sixpacks ,and make friends for future crazy parts making ....
been there........ except that I have own lathe now......

(few sixpacks more to me )
Old 25th June 2007, 01:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

No, I definitely agree with you.

I will start looking for a precision machinist. Luckily I do live in a state capital so it should be available.

Thanks - Evan
Old 25th June 2007, 07:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

look at this this way :
that part is made on some lathe ;
why can't be made again on same tool ,even if locally ?

besides- mebbe you can have it for price of few sixpacks ,and make friends for future crazy parts making ....
been there........ except that I have own lathe now......

(few sixpacks more to me )
Unless you've actually removed and replaced oilite bushings you would know that it is somewhat of a challenge to achieve a precision fit. Oilite bushings are not the most precision bushing because they have to be fitted with a specific tool, depending on the shaft diameter. Anyone can do this job but be careful what you end up with. If you want a precision fit, better ask if they have done this sort of work before. Oilite bushings are prone to "clogging" if machined after pressing in. I've installed these bushings in bearings that I have built and obtained a very nice fit without machining afterward but I took the time to machine a proper insertion tool. Make sure the machinist uses a dead sharp boring tool if he machines the bushings after installing, otherwise the pores will be closed up and the bushing(s) rendered useless. Good luck!
Old 25th June 2007, 07:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I spoke to a supplier about oilites and they told me absolutely cannot lap the bushings to fit because of the clogging issue.

I have installed these with an arbor press before, what type of tool do I need? A spindle to keep the hole round?

Evan
Old 25th June 2007, 07:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I spoke to a supplier about oilites and they told me absolutely cannot lap the bushings to fit because of the clogging issue.

I have installed these with an arbor press before, what type of tool do I need? A spindle to keep the hole round?

Evan
You need measure the O.D. of the bearing shaft with a micrometer that reads in 0.0001 tenths of a thousand.
You also have to measure the O.D. of the bushings. The bushing I'D. is oversize and designed to compress, how far it compresses depends on the size of the insertion tool you make. It's actually not that hard but it's hard to explain without knowing all of the critical dimensions. If you can offer the "accurate" dimension of the bearing shaft, the ID and OD of the bushings, I can probably tell you the proper OD of the insertion tool you need, unless you already know how to figure that out.
Old 26th June 2007, 12:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I actually have an oldschool full set of starret machinist calipers that may be that accurate. Ill have to check.

I guess, regardless of that, whats the odds that I will be able to find the correct size oillite?

Anybody know of anyone specific to do this job, im worried some hack machine shop could screw up the job and render the table worthless.

Thanks - Evan
Old 26th June 2007, 12:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I actually have an oldschool full set of starret machinist calipers that may be that accurate. Ill have to check.

I guess, regardless of that, whats the odds that I will be able to find the correct size oillite?

Anybody know of anyone specific to do this job, im worried some hack machine shop could screw up the job and render the table worthless.

Thanks - Evan
Calipers are not really accurate enough to measure the OD of the bearing shaft but they will work. Measure the ID of the bore that the bushings are pressed into with your calipers. Measure the OD of the bearing shaft. Look for a bushing that is of that "nominal size".
Most of these Oillite bushings are used in AC motors and don't need the level of precision you need for your TT. Can you press the old bushings out?

Hide this!Advertise here!