Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

15V at the smoothing cap with no load.
drops to 14.45V with the LDRs drawing current.
drops to 13.87V with the single LED added.

You need proper smoothing cap across the rectified supply.
Try 1000uF or somewhere close, 470uF to 2200uF.

Measure those three conditions again.

Hi Andrew

I'm keeping you busy! :D

Should I place this cap before the regulator, just after the green terminal block?

I use 1,000uf either side of the reg.

url]

Hi

I added a 1000uf cap after the power supply terminal block today. It worked fine for a while but has blown another walwart! :headbash:

I think there is something shorted out or something wrong with your circuit, are you able to post some pictures of this setup detailed pictures of your board and other things ?

Have you tried to measure the current draw from the psu with the volume pot ?

What are the spec's of your walwarts ?

Jase

I think there is something shorted out or something wrong with your circuit, are you able to post some pictures of this setup detailed pictures of your board and other things ?

Have you tried to measure the current draw from the psu with the volume pot ?

What are the spec's of your walwarts ?

Jase

Hi Jase

This is soooo infuriating. I don't like to give up too easily but this is starting to waste far too many power packs. I might just build one on perf board as it much easier to fault find. I find it hard to believe I've had so many problems with such a simple circuit :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if these pictures are going to make it any easier for you...

adapter.jpg

inletandpower.jpg

LDRs.jpg

Top-7.jpg

Bottom-1.jpg

Have you tried to measure the current draw from the psu with the volume pot ? NO

Thanks for your interest!

is this a switch ?

inletandpower.jpg

I don't think it's suppose to be connected that way, it should be in series not parallel, that might be the problem right there. Wire the power adapter right to the board, if you can put the meter in series on the current measuring mode and see how much current is being drawn.

Edit, infact take that whole thing out of the loop the connector and the switch and just wire the adapter to the board first.

J'

Thanks!

Can I leave the DC inlet socket as I don't have any small grommets?

Is there anything else I can measure/do to see if I have a fault?

for now its not time to make it look pretty :) just remove the top cover and wire the power supply right to the board. If it works then ill show you your error :)

( just in case ) i can see it working 100% too, it looks like your switch is wired to short your psu, :)

Try it wired directly to the board, remove the plug and switch, if works post back :)

'For now its not time to make it look pretty :)' Fair point :eek:

All done, and hopefully not burning-out on the work bench:D

Cutting of the DC jack from an adapter has certainly widen my choice ;)

I'll keep you posted.

Just remember we are just doing this to try it out, thats all. If it works then your good to next step, i can almost bet that, the switch was the problem, i see it wired in parallel not series.

Jase